Dog hailed as hero for alerting deaf boy to fire - DC News FOX 5 DC WTTG

Dog hailed as hero for alerting deaf boy to fire

Posted: Updated:

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) - A pit bull named Ace is being hailed as a hero for licking the face of a sleeping, deaf 13-year-old Indianapolis boy to alert him that the house was on fire.

Indianapolis Fire Department Capt. Rita Reith says Nick Lamb was home alone and sleeping without his hearing aids when the fire began Wednesday.

"My dog licked my face and woke me up," Lamb said. "I was like, 'Stop it! What? You want to be fed?' I thought he wanted to be fed or go outside."

Ace didn't stop licking Nick until the teen got up, too. That's when he realized the house was full of smoke.

"I couldn't hear anything because I had my cochlear implants off. ... My dog Ace smelled it," Lamb said. "I just wanted to get out."

Without his shoes but with Ace by his side, he covered his nose and mouth with his T-shirt darted out the back door, grabbing one of his implants along the way.

He then called his mother and 911.

Lindsay Bernard, Lamb's mother, credited Ace with saving her son from injury.

"It's amazing, because if he wouldn't have been there, he probably wouldn't have even woke up," Bernard said.

Lamb, who was born deaf, told firefighters that this was the first summer he was old enough to stay home alone and that he had returned from summer camp just three days earlier.

Firefighters found the family's cat, "Pixie," inside the home. She was taken to a vet for smoke inhalation and was expected to recover.

Damage to the home was estimated at $175,000.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • Spotlight StoriesMore>>

  • Cat Burned In Washington Wildfire Adopted By Rescuer

    Cat Burned In Washington Wildfire Adopted By Rescuer

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 8:02 PM EDT2014-07-24 00:02:45 GMT
    A cat badly burned by wildfires in Washington got a new lease on life. All thanks to a Seattle couple.
    A cat badly burned by wildfires in Washington got a new lease on life. All thanks to a Seattle couple.

  • Man Receives State's First Lung Transplant

    Man Receives State's First Lung Transplant

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 3:27 PM EDT2014-07-23 19:27:38 GMT
    An Indiana Hospital becomes the first in the state to ever perform a breathing lung transplant.Thanks to modern technology more than a decade in the making doctors are able to transport lungs while they're still warm.
    An Indiana Hospital becomes the first in the state to ever perform a breathing lung transplant.Thanks to modern technology more than a decade in the making doctors are able to transport lungs while they're still warm.
  • Mich. teen gets heart transplant for her 15th birthday

    Mich. teen gets heart transplant for her 15th birthday

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 12:18 PM EDT2014-07-23 16:18:13 GMT
    A St. Clair County cheerleader was feeling fine when she got a routine EKG to check her heart rhythm. The results of that simple scan are so shocking - her life immediately changed forever.
    A St. Clair County cheerleader was feeling fine when she got a routine EKG to check her heart rhythm. The results of that simple scan are so shocking - her life immediately changed forever.
Powered by WorldNow

WTTG FOX 5 & myfoxdc
5151 Wisconsin Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20016
Main Number: (202) 244-5151
Newsroom: (202) 895-3000
fox5tips@wttg.com

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices