Police back off plan to take explicit photo of teen in sexting c - DC News FOX 5 DC WTTG

Police back off plan to take explicit photo of teen in sexting case

Posted: Updated:
By MATTHEW BARAKAT
Associated Press

McLEAN, Va. (AP) — Police in Virginia on Thursday backed off efforts to take sexually explicit photos of a 17-year-old to prove a sexting case against him.

Police and prosecutors faced a wave of criticism following news media reports that they had obtained a warrant to take photos of the teen's erect penis. Police wanted the pictures to compare against photos he is accused of sending to his 15-year-old girlfriend at the time.

On Thursday, Manassas Police Lt. Brian Larkin said the Police Department will not proceed with the plan to take the pictures and will let a search warrant authorizing the photos to expire.

Privacy advocates had criticized the plan as a violation of the teen's constitutional rights.

The teen's aunt, who serves as his legal guardian, said she had not heard of the police department's reversal until contacted by an Associated Press reporter Thursday afternoon. She said she would be ecstatic if police follow through on their statement that they will no longer pursue the photos. But she said she won't be fully satisfied until the case against her nephew is dropped entirely.

The aunt had sent her nephew to West Virginia, where he grew up, for the past several weeks, fearful that police would show up to enforce the search warrant. The teen's defense lawyers said authorities had explained that they intended to take the teen to a hospital and chemically induce an erection to facilitate the photographs.

The Associated Press is not identifying the teen or the aunt in accordance with a policy of not identifying juvenile suspects.

Manassas Police Chief Douglas Keen posted a statement Thursday saying that "the decision to pursue prosecution or not lies with the Commonwealth Attorney's Office and not the Police Department."

Commonwealth's Attorney Paul Ebert declined to comment on the case in detail, citing ethical rules about discussion of pending cases outside the courtroom.

The teen is charged in juvenile court with felony counts of possession and manufacture of child pornography. The aunt maintains that the charges are overblown and said the plan to pursue photos of her nephew in an aroused state came about only after she and her nephew refused to accept a plea bargain that had been offered.

Larkin said he had no information on why the department no longer plans to pursue the photos. On Wednesday night, the department issued a statement saying it was not their policy "to authorize invasive search procedures of suspects in cases of this nature" but made no definitive statements about whether they would continue to pursue the photos that had been specifically authorized in the search warrant.

Rebecca Glenberg, legal director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Virginia, said the pursuit of the photos would have raised serious constitutional questions, compounded by the fact that the subject of the photos would have been a minor and by the fact that authorities apparently intended to induce an erection through a medical injection.

"People have a constitutional right to control their bodies," said Glenberg, who was unaware of any similar case.

The aunt felt certain that the tidal wave of criticism against authorities is the only reason police reversed course.

"They would have gotten away with this. They were not going to back off," she said.

Manassas City Manager Patrick Pate acknowledged Thursday that the department and the city had been fielding irate calls from across the country and internationally after the story broke. He said the city was being portrayed unfairly, given the fact that the photos were never actually taken. He also downplayed the possibility that they would ever have been taken, even though he acknowledged that a warrant authorizing them had been issued.

The teen's lawyers did not immediately return calls seeking comment Thursday.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


Manassas City Police released the following statement about their decision:

On January 23, 2014 Manassas City Police was contacted by a parent of a 15 YOA female juvenile who was sent pornographic videos by a 17 YOA male suspect after repeatedly being told to stop. Upon further investigating the incident charges of manufacturing and distributing child pornography were brought against the 17 YOA male suspect on January 28, 2014 after consultation with the Commonwealth Attorney's Office. The matter was set for trial on June 4th 2014 where charges were nolle prosqui by a Prince William County Assistant Commonwealth Attorney.

The circumstances on the decision to dismiss charges and bring forward new charges cannot be released at this time due to this incident being an active investigation and involving juveniles. New charges of manufacturing and distributing child pornography have been brought forward and a court date is pending.

It is not the policy of the Manassas City Police or the Commonwealth Attorney's Office to authorize invasive search procedures of suspects in cases of this nature and no such procedures have been conducted in this case. Beyond that, neither the Police Department nor the Commonwealth's Attorney's Office discusses evidentiary matters prior to court hearings.
  • Viral StoriesMore>>

  • Strong earthquake aftershock shakes Napa Valley

    Strong earthquake aftershock shakes Napa Valley

    Monday, September 1 2014 10:37 AM EDT2014-09-01 14:37:13 GMT
    A significant aftershock from last weekend's magnitude-6.0 earthquake has rattled Northern California's wine country. The U.S. Geological Survey says the magnitude-3.2 tremor struck 5 miles south of the city of Napa just before 2 a.m. Sunday.
    A significant aftershock from last weekend's magnitude-6.0 earthquake has rattled Northern California's wine country. The U.S. Geological Survey says the magnitude-3.2 tremor struck 5 miles south of the city of Napa just before 2 a.m. Sunday.
  • Lane marking mess on I-66 eastbound near Centreville, Va.

    Lane marking mess on I-66 eastbound near Centreville, Va.

    Monday, August 25 2014 6:20 PM EDT2014-08-25 22:20:44 GMT
    It was commuter confusion out on Interstate 66 Monday morning. Drivers heading eastbound towards Washington D.C. wound up seeing their traffic lanes suddenly turn into a mess. Lane stripes somehow pulled away from the road surface and created a mess of tangled tape and lanes that didn't make sense.
    It was commuter confusion out on Interstate 66 Monday morning. Drivers heading eastbound towards Washington D.C. wound up seeing their traffic lanes suddenly turn into a mess. Lane stripes somehow pulled away from the road surface and created a mess of tangled tape and lanes that didn't make sense.
  • New marijuana drug 'Wax' looks and feels like lip balm

    New marijuana drug 'Wax' looks and feels like lip balm

    Friday, August 22 2014 7:52 PM EDT2014-08-22 23:52:09 GMT
    It goes by the name Wax, Butter and Honeycomb on the streets, and it can pack a kick equal to 15 to 20 joints of marijuana. The new drug looks and feels like lip balm. It's made from the oils of marijuana plants and has a high level of THC - the chemical that produces a high.
    It goes by the name Wax, Butter and Honeycomb on the streets, and it can pack a kick equal to 15 to 20 joints of marijuana. The new drug looks and feels like lip balm. It's made from the oils of marijuana plants and has a high level of THC - the chemical that produces a high.

Powered by WorldNow
Untitled

WTTG FOX 5 & myfoxdc
5151 Wisconsin Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20016
Main Number: (202) 244-5151
Newsroom: (202) 895-3000
fox5tips@wttg.com

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices