Fort Washington man gets 13 years for role in Prince George's Co - DC News FOX 5 DC WTTG

Fort Washington man gets 13 years for role in Prince George's Co. officer's death

Posted: Updated:
Kevon Neal Kevon Neal
Kevon Neal Kevon Neal
Adrian Morris Adrian Morris

A Fort Washington man who led Prince George's County police on a chase that ultimately resulted in the death of a rookie police officer pleaded guilty on Monday.

Kevon Neal admitted to being the driver who led Officer Adrian Morris and his partner on a pursuit in August of 2012 that ended in a crash on I-95.

Officer Morris was killed when he was thrown from the car.

Kevon Neal stood before the judge and tearfully apologized for what he did. He told the court he never meant for the officer to get hurt, that he was not a bad person and he had simply made some bad choices.

On that day in August 2012, Neal led police on a chase that reached speeds of over 120 mph.

When Officer Morris, who was not wearing his seat belt, swerved to avoid another car, his cruiser went into a ditch and he was thrown from the vehicle. His partner survived.

Outside the courthouse, Morris' mother reacted to the verdict and the sentence of 13 years in prison.

"I would like to thank the state's attorney’s office in helping us with this closure and justice was served,” said Morris’ mother, Sherrin Crosdale. “Yet, it will not fill the void that is in my heart. My son is gone. He is never coming back, so we have to move forward from this day on.”

Neal pleaded guilty to motor vehicle manslaughter and witness retaliation.

The second charge came when a letter he sent from the jail was intercepted after his first trial ended in a mistrial.

“We are pleased today that we have brought him to justice,” said Prince George’s County State’s Attorney Angela Alsobrooks. “We hope that we send the message that we simply will not tolerate his sort of conduct in our community, but he after that also attempted to retaliate against a witness. We hope it is abundantly clear, not only to Mr. Neal, but to any person who intends to harm a witness, to subvert justice, that it will not occur in this community.”

"The guilty plea given today by Mr. Neal confirms what we already knew,” said Prince George’s County Police Chief Mark McGaw. “That his actions two years ago caused the death of Adrian Morris. I’d like to thank the state's attorney and her staff for diligently and tirelessly pursuing justice in this case.”

Morris's mother called her son the “light of her life” and she said the apology from Neal felt hollow and untrue.

Powered by WorldNow

WTTG FOX 5 & myfoxdc
5151 Wisconsin Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20016
Main Number: (202) 244-5151
Newsroom: (202) 895-3000

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices