Man hit by train at Bethesda Metro station - DC News FOX 5 DC WTTG

Man hit by train at Bethesda Metro station

Posted: Updated:
Photo: Avi D. Gordon (@AviDGordon on Twitter) Photo: Avi D. Gordon (@AviDGordon on Twitter)
Photo: Pete Piringer/MCFRS (@mcfrsPIO on Twitter) Photo: Pete Piringer/MCFRS (@mcfrsPIO on Twitter)
BETHESDA, Md. - Update - 6/4/14: Sources tell FOX 5 the person who was hit by the train on Tuesday night reportedly checked himself out of the hospital. 

Montgomery County authorities say a man was hit by a train at the Bethesda Metro station Tuesday afternoon.

Emergency crews responded to the Bethesda station at around 5 p.m. during the height of rush hour when things took a frightening turn. A man, said to be about in his 50s, all of a sudden begins to stumble.

“We believe it was a seizure because he has a history of seizures,” said Metro spokesperson Dan Stessel.

The man then fell onto the train tracks as a slow moving inbound Red Line train rolled in.

“The train did make contact with this individual and he was pushed down the platform by about 10 to 20 feet before the train came to a complete stop,” Stessel said.

Video cameras captured the fall. On the tape, other passengers were seen running to the man's aid and waving their hands wildly at the train operator in an effort to alert him to the victim on the tracks.

“We believe that the train operator did make efforts to stop the train and it certainly was not close to the end of the platform where the train would have normally stopped,” said Stessel.

The man was eventually pulled off the tracks as emergency crews tended to his injuries.

“His injuries are somewhat what we would call Priority 2, which means serious and potentially life-threatening,” said Montgomery County Fire and Rescue spokesperson Pete Piringer.

“He was breathing, conscious, communicating with our medics the entire time,” Piringer added.

The scare delayed rail traffic for hours as police investigated. The Red Line was single tracking between the Medical Center and Friendship Heights stations.

Many passengers had no idea what had happened. Once they learned why there was delay, they didn't seem to mind the wait.

Service is back to normal and a tragedy just barely averted.

“He was lucky to have survived this ordeal -- that's for sure,” said Piringer.

“This could have been a whole lot worse, no question about it,” Stessel said.

Powered by WorldNow

WTTG FOX 5 & myfoxdc
5151 Wisconsin Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20016
Main Number: (202) 244-5151
Newsroom: (202) 895-3000

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices