Pomeranian Wakes Owner During Fire, Saves Her Life - DC News FOX 5 DC WTTG

Bookmark and Share

Pomeranian Wakes Owner During Fire, Saves Her Life

Posted: Updated:

Glendale, AZ- A dog is being called a hero after waking up his owner during a fire in Glendale, Arizona.

Karen Mariluch was asleep in her home and store, Abra's Formal Wear shop, when her dog named King nudged her frantically.

Mariluch smelled the smoke, which quickly filled the building.

She pulled King, a 9-year-old white Pomeranian, out through the backdoor to safety in the backyard.

According to fire officials, the fire appears to have started with an unattended candle.

Mariluch says she put the candle out, but the wax may have re-ignited.

"He was going to die with me. If he couldn't get me out, he was going to die with me," said Mariluch. "There’s no way I’d be here today without this dog. He started scratching and moving with his nose. He was black when I brought him outside. My air was black. My face was soot all over us, so we didn't have that much time left.

Mariluch is now staying in a guest house in the backyard of the property.

Powered by WorldNow

WTTG FOX 5 & myfoxdc
5151 Wisconsin Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20016
Main Number: (202) 244-5151
Newsroom: (202) 895-3000

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices