Kindergarten show canceled so kids won't miss more class - DC News FOX 5 DC WTTG

Kindergarten show canceled so kids won't miss more class

Posted: Updated:
NEW YORK (MYFOXNY) -

Welcome to the Elwood School District, Long Island, where kindergarten is very serious. Evidently, two days spent singing, dancing, and acting might cost the 5- and 6-year-olds of the Harley Primary School their chances at college and a future. So the school canceled its year-end performance.

In a letter to parents, the district said:  "We hope this letter serves to help you better understand how the demands of the 21st century are changing schools...we are responsible for preparing children for college and career with valuable lifelong skills and know that we can best do that by having them become strong readers, writers, coworkers and problem solvers."

The letter went on to say:  "Please do not fault us for making professional decisions"

As you can imagine, that logic made perfect sense to the district's parents.

"I think they're crazy and I think the town is very upset," one said.

"I have no idea what they're thinking," another parent said.

"I'm just devastated this happening," said another.

The Harley School's announcement that after six years on earth, two days of rehearsal for a class play might somehow jeopardize a kindergartener's chance of a college education did not convince that school's parents to enroll their children in S.A.T. prep courses.

"Ridiculous? Just a little bit," said a parent.

"This is a show," said another. "They're 5 years old."

One parent started a 2,400-signature petition asking the district to bring back the kindergarten performance. That document prompted the community's Board of Education to call a special meeting where its leader regurgitated a statement he sent out earlier in the day.

"I believe we made the right decision for the right reasons," Superintendent Peter C. Scordo said. Before hearing public testimony the superintendent apologized for the way in which parents learned of the program's cancellation a short letter mailed home.

"We should've been more sensitive to the impact this would have on the parents and community members and for that, I apologize to you," Scordo said.

No sign yet that the district plans to reverse its decision. Parents called wording of that initial letter "rude and condescending" but many said they appreciated the superintendent's apology.

  • Long Island NewsLong Island NewsMore>>

  • Fatal skydiving accident on Long Island

    Fatal skydiving accident on Long Island

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 9:13 PM EDT2014-07-31 01:13:49 GMT
    Police on Long Island say one person has died and another has been seriously injured in a skydiving accident. Riverhead police say it happened at about 4 p.m. Wednesday at Skydive Long Island in Calverton. Police say the injured person was airlifted to Stony Brook University Hospital in critical condition.
    Police on Long Island say one person has died and another has been seriously injured in a skydiving accident. Riverhead police say it happened at about 4 p.m. Wednesday at Skydive Long Island in Calverton. Police say the injured person was airlifted to Stony Brook University Hospital in critical condition.
  • Queens teen pleads guilty in crash that killed 4 friends on Long Island

    Queens teen pleads guilty in crash that killed 4 friends on Long Island

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 2:54 PM EDT2014-07-29 18:54:40 GMT
    A New York teenager has pleaded guilty to aggravated vehicular homicide in a 2012 high-speed crash that killed four of his friends and split his new car in two. Joseph Beer entered the plea Tuesday. He faces five to 15 years in prison, though his attorney is seeking youthful offender status because he was 17 at the time.
    A New York teenager has pleaded guilty to aggravated vehicular homicide in a 2012 high-speed crash that killed four of his friends and split his new car in two. Joseph Beer entered the plea Tuesday. He faces five to 15 years in prison, though his attorney is seeking youthful offender status because he was 17 at the time.
  • Accused Long Island cop killer found guilty

    Accused Long Island cop killer found guilty

    Monday, July 28 2014 12:49 PM EDT2014-07-28 16:49:08 GMT
    An ex-convict suspected of gunning down a Nassau County police officer and then fatally shooting a carjacking victim was found guilty on all counts in the murders on Monday. Darrell Fuller, 33, shot and killed Police Officer Arthur Lopez in October 2012 who suspected he had been involved in a hit-and-run car accident. Authorities said Fuller then fled that shooting and killed the second victim, Raymond Facey of Queens, while stealing his vehicle.
    An ex-convict suspected of gunning down a Nassau County police officer and then fatally shooting a carjacking victim was found guilty on all counts in the murders on Monday. Darrell Fuller, 34, shot and killed Police Officer Arthur Lopez in October 2012 who suspected he had been involved in a hit-and-run car accident. Authorities said Fuller then fled that shooting and killed the second victim, Raymond Facey of Queens, while stealing his vehicle.
Powered by WorldNow

WTTG FOX 5 & myfoxdc
5151 Wisconsin Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20016
Main Number: (202) 244-5151
Newsroom: (202) 895-3000
fox5tips@wttg.com

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices