Prison head claims responsibility for man's escape - DC News FOX 5 DC WTTG

Prison head claims responsibility for man's escape

Posted: Updated:

LANSING, Mich. (AP) -- Michigan's top prison official is taking responsibility for the 24-hour escape of a convicted killer who got as far as Indiana before being captured.

Corrections Department Director Dan Heyns told Michigan lawmakers Thursday he's certain of the root cause and circumstances surrounding the Feb. 2 escape. But he declined to share many specifics, citing an ongoing attorney general's investigation.

Heyns is speeding up the upgrade of surveillance cameras and lighting at the Ionia prison. He's also reviewing snow removal policies and the color of inmates' clothing.

Heyns says budget cuts weren't a factor and if monitoring equipment had been properly maintained, Michael Elliot would've been seen before leaving the grounds.

The 40-year-old was arrested in Indiana. A request for Elliot's return to Michigan was sent Wednesday to Indiana's governor.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • M-1 rail project to begin

    M-1 rail project to begin

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 8:31 AM EDT2014-07-22 12:31:11 GMT
    Woodward Avenue in downtown Detroit will soon be shut down for four months.
    Woodward Avenue in downtown Detroit will soon be shut down for four months.
  • Recalled: Fresh fruits sold at Trader Joe's, Costco & Sam's Club

    Recalled: Fresh fruits sold at Trader Joe's, Costco & Sam's Club

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 7:37 AM EDT2014-07-22 11:37:54 GMT
    A California company is recalling fresh fruits nationwide due to possible listeria contamination.
    A California company is recalling fresh fruits nationwide due to possible listeria contamination.
  • Pensioners approve Detroit bankruptcy plan

    Pensioners approve Detroit bankruptcy plan

    Monday, July 21 2014 11:39 PM EDT2014-07-22 03:39:04 GMT
    The city of Detroit says workers and retirees have approved pension cuts, a crucial step to emerging from the largest municipal bankruptcy in U.S. history. The city reported results Monday after two months of balloting ended July 11. A judge still must hold a trial to determine if Detroit's overall bankruptcy plan is fair and feasible, but support from retirees is vital.
    The city of Detroit says workers and retirees have approved pension cuts, a crucial step to emerging from the largest municipal bankruptcy in U.S. history. The city reported results Monday after two months of balloting ended July 11. A judge still must hold a trial to determine if Detroit's overall bankruptcy plan is fair and feasible, but support from retirees is vital.
  • Download the FOX 2 Apps


  • FOX 2 News Five-Day Forecast
Powered by WorldNow

WTTG FOX 5 & myfoxdc
5151 Wisconsin Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20016
Main Number: (202) 244-5151
Newsroom: (202) 895-3000
fox5tips@wttg.com

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices