Hundreds of passengers sickened on cruise ship - DC News FOX 5 DC WTTG

Hundreds of passengers sickened on cruise ship

Posted: Updated:
By FOX NEWS -

The Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas cruise ship set sail from Bayonne, NJ on Tuesday for the Caribbean, but now the trip has been cut short and the boat is headed back after hundreds of people on board became sick with gastrointestinal symptoms consistent with the highly contagious Norovirus.

The CDC said early Monday that 564 of the 3,050 passengers aboard the 15-deck ship reported getting sick during the cruise.

Connecticut passenger Arnee Dodd tweeted that she was among the ill, saying:  "They immediately quarantined every sick person & put a lockdown on food & are constantly cleaning everything.”

On Sunday, officials from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention boarded the ship in St. Thomas to investigate.

Vince Ignizio and his wife Camille live in Staten Island and are on board the ship right now. Neither of them were sick, but the Ignizio's are the parents of New York City Councilman Vincent Ignizio, who cruised on the Explorer of the seas with his wife just two months ago.

Councilman Vincent Ignizio who is from the Staten Island 51st council district says they're doing whatever they can to sanitize the ship. “But you still have 1000 people on board, it’s a dangerous situation” he said.

The outbreak is the second on a Royal Caribbean cruise in as many weeks.

Dozens of passengers on their majesty of the seas SHIP became sick with a stomach virus last week.

“It seems to be happening more and more, perhaps we need to increase the inspection period from two times a year” Ignezio said.

Of this latest incident on board the explorer of the seas, Royal Caribbean said in a statement:  "...we think the right thing to do is to bring our guests home early, and use the extra time to sanitize the ship even more thoroughly. We are sorry for disappointing our guests, and we are taking several steps to compensate them for their inconvenience."

  • New Jersey NewsNew Jersey NewsMore>>

  • New Jersey detective acquitted in Maryland highway shooting

    NJ detective acquitted in Md. highway shooting

    Thursday, July 31 2014 5:20 PM EDT2014-07-31 21:20:31 GMT
    A jury has found a New Jersey detective not guilty in the slaying of a driver during an alleged road-rage incident. Joseph Walker, 41, an investigator for the Hudson County, New Jersey, prosecutor's office, was found not guilty on all counts on Wednesday in Anne Arundel County Circuit Court. He had been charged with first-degree murder in the death of Joseph Harvey, 36, of Landsdowne.
    A jury has found a New Jersey detective not guilty in the slaying of a driver during an alleged road-rage incident. Joseph Walker, 41, an investigator for the Hudson County, New Jersey, prosecutor's office, was found not guilty on all counts on Wednesday in Anne Arundel County Circuit Court. He had been charged with first-degree murder in the death of Joseph Harvey, 36, of Landsdowne.
  • Man charged for the overdose death of Hillsborough resident on Christmas Eve

    Man charged for the overdose death of Hillsborough resident on Christmas Eve

    Thursday, July 31 2014 11:38 AM EDT2014-07-31 15:38:39 GMT

    A Bridgewater man has been charged with the death of a 22-year-old Hillsborough resident who overdosed on Heroin Christmas Eve morning, according to nj.com.

    A Bridgewater man has been charged with the death of a 22-year-old Hillsborough resident who overdosed on Heroin Christmas Eve morning, according to nj.com.

  • East Hanover man admits exposing himself to child

    East Hanover man admits exposing himself to child

    Thursday, July 31 2014 11:34 AM EDT2014-07-31 15:34:55 GMT
    An East Hanover man previously convicted of child endangerment pleaded guilty Wednesday to exposing himself to another child on several occasions when she was between the ages of 4 and 6. Kenneth Lull, 48, who has been in jail since 2008, received a three-year suspended sentence under the plea agreement, according to NJ.com.
    An East Hanover man previously convicted of child endangerment pleaded guilty Wednesday to exposing himself to another child on several occasions when she was between the ages of 4 and 6. Kenneth Lull, 48, who has been in jail since 2008, received a three-year suspended sentence under the plea agreement, according to NJ.com.
Powered by WorldNow

WTTG FOX 5 & myfoxdc
5151 Wisconsin Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20016
Main Number: (202) 244-5151
Newsroom: (202) 895-3000
fox5tips@wttg.com

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices