Dog swallows diamond earring - DC News FOX 5 DC WTTG

Dog swallows diamond earring

Posted: Updated:

Has the dog ever eaten your homework?  One California puppy swallowed something that takes "The dog ate my…." to a whole new level.  He ate a large diamond earring belonging to the woman who would become his owner, and then he found himself in the operating room.  

Claire Hutchinson took her dog Charlie to be groomed at a local pet store.  While she was there, she saw puppies—including Bailey.  She started playing with him, and began jumping toward her face from her lap.  She says finally, he put his teeth around one of her diamond earrings and pulled it right out of her ear.

But then, Bailey swallowed it.  Claire didn't own Bailey then, but a few days later, she went back and purchased him.  They waited a few days, but he didn't pass the earring naturally.  He started to spit up blood, and that's when she says she took him to the doctor, who told her the earring had started to embed itself and needed to come out.  

Bailey isn't alone.  Vets see dogs and cats that have swallowed strange objects at least once a month.  Some are repeat offenders, and puppies are often the patients because they explore with their mouths.  
    
Surgery can cost around $2,000.  For Claire, the way Bailey joined their family wasn't cheap, but she says she has no regrets about the wonderful new addition.  

The website petmd.com says keep an eye on your pets, and if you're worried they have swallowed something sharp or toxic, see a vet right away.  The same holds true if your pet seems to be choking or having trouble breathing.

  • More Health NewsMore>>

  • DeKalb teen's dream-come-true: new high-tech leg helps her walk effortlessly

    DeKalb teen's dream-come-true: new high-tech leg helps her walk effortlessly

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 5:57 PM EDT2014-07-30 21:57:22 GMT
    In a lot of ways, Jasmine Holliday is a pretty typical 15-year old, hanging out in her Ellenwood bedroom with her pocket pit bull terrier and best friend Coco.
    In a lot of ways, Jasmine Holliday is a pretty typical 15-year old, hanging out in her Ellenwood bedroom with her pocket pit bull terrier and best friend Coco.
  • FOX Medical Team

    Is it safe to kiss your pet?

    Is it safe to kiss your pet?

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 8:24 AM EDT2014-07-29 12:24:46 GMT
    If you’re a pet owner, you’ve probably been there. You lean down to say hello and, before you know it, your dog has planted a big wet one right on your mouth.But a UGA Vet says that “kiss” may come with a downside.
    If you’re a pet owner, you’ve probably been there. You lean down to say hello and, before you know it, your dog has planted a big wet one right on your mouth.But a UGA Vet says that “kiss” may come with a downside.
  • Sandy Springs woman struggles with Alzheimer's diagnosis at 55

    Sandy Springs woman struggles with Alzheimer's diagnosis at 55

    Thursday, July 24 2014 8:42 AM EDT2014-07-24 12:42:55 GMT
    The Alzheimer’s Association estimates about 200,000 Americans are living with early-onset Alzheimer’s disease, diagnosed before their 65th birthday.
    The Alzheimer’s Association estimates about 200,000 Americans are living with early-onset Alzheimer’s disease, diagnosed before their 65th birthday.
  • CHILDREN'S HOSPITAL HEROESMore>>

  • Hospital Heroes

    Hospital Heroes

    Children's Miracle Network Hospitals raises funds for 170 children's hospitals across the United States and Canada.  Click here for more on our local heroes!
Powered by WorldNow

WTTG FOX 5 & myfoxdc
5151 Wisconsin Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20016
Main Number: (202) 244-5151
Newsroom: (202) 895-3000
fox5tips@wttg.com

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices