DC cop helped gunman escape after murder - DC News FOX 5 DC WTTG

DC cop helped gunman escape after murder

Posted: Updated:
Antonia McClam Antonia McClam

A sentencing memorandum, which had been filed under seal until this week, is revealing new details in the obstruction of justice case against D.C. police officer Antonia McClam.

The memo, written by Assistant U.S. Attorney Reagan Taylor and filed with the court September 5th, says McClam was off duty and sitting on the steps of her home on Clay Place, NE, on August 21, 2011 when she witnessed her boyfriend go past her with a gun.

Taylor says McClam watched as Ricardo Mitchell gunned down Wyatt Robinson near the corner of Minnesota Avenue and Clay Place before gathering her belongings and going back inside her house.

McClam then went to the backyard where she opened the gate so Mitchell could flee on his motorcycle.

According to the memo, “At no time did the defendant call 911, attempt to render assistance to the decedent or to check on his status, call the police, nor make any efforts to pursue and arrest Ricardo Mitchell…”

In fact, Taylor writes when police arrived on the scene, McClam obstructed the investigation by telling officers the gunman was a family friend named “Rico” who opened her front door, yelled “Move!” before running through the back door. He was last seen running toward Minnesota Avenue.

McClam never told police she had witnessed the shooting and didn’t admit her role until investigators told her the shooting had been captured on surveillance video.

In her defense, McClam told investigators Mitchell threatened to shoot her if she didn’t open the gate and that she had recently been physically abused by the man. It is a claim later corroborated by investigators.

The U.S. Attorneys Office credits McClam with assisting in the investigation, testifying before the grand jury and providing enough information that eventually lead Mitchell to plead guilty.

McClam is no longer on the force. In October of 2011, she was involved in an auto accident and is now paralyzed from the chest down and is wheelchair bound.

This week, she was sentenced to 90 months in prison -- all of it suspended.

Related Story:

Man Accused in Fatal DC Shooting Appears in Court; DC Officer Alleged in Witnessing Murder

Powered by WorldNow

WTTG FOX 5 & myfoxdc
5151 Wisconsin Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20016
Main Number: (202) 244-5151
Newsroom: (202) 895-3000

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices