The University of Minnesota campus is on alert after a student was sexually assaulted near Van Cleve Park early Sunday morning.
According to a crime alert issued for the Twin Cities campus, the assault took place sometime between 2:40 and 3:10 a.m. near the intersection of 15th and Brook avenues southeast.
The alert details state the victim had left a party and was walking home through the Marcy Holmes neighborhood alone when she was approached by three men, one of whom struck her and sexually assaulted her while the other two acted as lookouts.
The suspect involved in the assault was wearing a dark jacket, dark shirt, jeans and work boots at the time of the assault. He is described as being between 30 and 38 years old, standing between 5 feet 8 inches tall and 6 feet tall with a light build.
Minneapolis police are investigating the crime since it occurred off campus, and anyone with information is asked to call the Minneapolis Police Tip Line at 612-692-8477 and reference case MP 13-357304.
UNIVERSITY POLICE PROMOTE ESCORT SERVICE
Following the assault, the University of Minnesota Police Department is urging students to avoid walking alone, especially late at night and on the weekends. If a student doesn't have a person or group to join up with, police recommend calling the Campus Escort Service at 612-624-WALK for a free security escort.
The campus security escorts are available 24-hours a day, 7 days a week, and the Gopher Chauffeur is another option available to students on weekends. That service provides free transportation to and from area destinations, and more information can be found by calling 612-388-6911.
UMPD also offered the following list of tips to students who are walking both on and off campus:
- Always be aware of your surroundings. When you are distracted you make an easier target.
- When threatened with a weapon, it's best not to resist. Your personal safety is more important than a lost wallet or cell phone.
- Carry minimal amounts of valuables.
- Keep written records of valuables, including model and serial numbers, in a safe place.
- Call 911 immediately if you are the victim or witness to a crime.
- Document information about the suspect for police (i.e. clothing descriptions, facial features, piercings or tattoos, speech, etc.).
WTTG FOX 5 & myfoxdc
Didn't find what you were looking for?