(FOX 11 / CNS) Nearly 100 people were evacuated after a construction crew ruptured a gas line in East Los Angeles today. The rupture in the 300 block of South Gerhart Avenue near Montebello was reported at 2:45 p.m., according to Los Angeles County sheriff's Deputy Kim Manatt.
A third-party construction crew installing a water main ruptured a six-inch gas main while digging the area, according to Denise King of Southern California Gas Company.
Deputies evacuated residential areas on Gerhart Avenue between West Pomona and East Beverly boulevards, Manatt said.
The evacuees were taken to Garfield High School on Metro buses. The gas was under control about 7 p.m., but repairs continued, Rochelle Silsbee of Southern California Gas Company told City News Service.
By 9 p.m., the sheriff's department said all issues had been resolved and people could return to their homes.
From Susan Hirasuna:
More than 30 homes on the 300 block of Gerhart were evacuated Monday afternoon when a construction crew hit a gas line. Three Metro buses took people away from the danger. But only a handful wound up at the evacuation center set up at Garfield High. By 8:15 pm, the order was lifted but there wasn't an immediate rush to return home. After all, as one man told me, he wasn't interested in leaving his friend's house until the Dodgers game ended.
The trouble started around 2 pm when a construction crew was digging in the street to find a water main, instead they hit a six inch gas line.
The strong smell of gas was enough for LA County Fire to call for the evacuationn worried a pocket of gas could collect and lead to an explosion.