What's the climate of the D.C. area real estate market?
FOX 5’s Holly Morris checked in with some of the region's top real estate experts from Willowsford in Aldie, Virginia.
Menu and Recipes:
FARM BREAKFAST TART
Veggies* | Herbs* | Eggs* | Local Asiago
Served w Mount Vernon Grassfed Bacon
HONEY PECAN STICKY BUNS
Eggs* | Honey* | Local Butter | Local Milk
HEIRLOOM BEET SALAD ON FALL GREENS
Beets* | Beet Greens* | Kale*
Arugula* | Local Goat Cheese
LAMB COTTAGE PIE W SWEET POTATO CRUST
Onion* | Garlic* | Turnips* | Carrots*
Herbs* | Potatoes* | Local Lamb | Willowsford Farmhouse Red Wine
Pumpkin* | Eggs* | Honey* | Local Butter | Local Milk
CARAMEL APPLE TART W ROUNDSTONE RYE ICE CREAM
Eggs* | Local Apples | Local Butter
Local Organic Rye | Local Milk | Local Apple Cider
Local Apple Cider | Coffee
Willowsford Farmhouse Red Wine | Willowsford Country White Wine
¬ALL OF THE INGREDIENTS WITH AN * COME FROM WILLOWSFORD FARM
Lamb Cottage Pie with Sweet Potato Crust
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 large carrot, peeled and diced into ½-inch cubes
2 small turnips, peeled and diced into ½-inch cubes
1 ½ pounds New Asbury Farm ground lamb
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon tomato paste
½ cup Willowsford Farmhouse Red wine
1 teaspoon fresh rosemary leaves, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh Italian parsley leaves, chopped
1 cup lamb, beef or chicken stock
1 cup blanched green beans, cut into ¾-inch lengths
1 recipe Mashed Sweet Potatoes
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrot and turnips and cook until the vegetables soften, about 5 minutes. Add the lamb and cook until browned, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute more. Drain off the fat.
3. Add the tomato paste, wine and herbs and cook until the liquid reduces by half. Add the stock and simmer until the liquid reduces and thickens, about 10 minutes.
4. Pour the meat-vegetable mixture into a large baking dish. Add the blanched green beans. Spread the mashed sweet potatoes evenly over the top. Ruffle the surface with the back of fork decoratively.
5. Place the baking dish on a cookie sheet and bake until the sweet potatoes begin to brown. Turn the oven temperature down to 350°F and continue cooking for 30 minutes.
Mashed Sweet Potatoes
2 large sweet potatoes
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
¼ - ½ cup warm milk or half and half
Salt to taste
Freshly ground nutmeg
Freshly ground black pepper
1. Peel the potatoes, cut them in half lengthwise, and place in a pot of cold salted water. Bring to a boil, turn down to a simmer and cook for 25 to 30 minutes, until a knife can easily be inserted.
2. Drain and mash well with a potato masher or use a food mill.
3. Return to the heat and stir in the butter.
4. Stir in the milk or half and half. Add the salt, nutmeg and pepper to taste.
Caramel Apple Tart
¼ recipe Quick Puff Pastry or store-bought puff pastry
1½ tablespoons salted butter
½ cup sugar
3 tart apples, peeled, quartered and cored
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Roll out the puff pastry dough until it is ¼ inch thick. Cut it into a 9-inch circle (slightly larger than the skillet you will use to cook the apples) and prick it several times with a fork. Refrigerate.
3. Meanwhile, melt the butter in an 8-inch skillet over medium heat. Add the sugar and cook until the sugar has melted and turned amber in color. Remove from heat.
4. Carefully arrange the apple quarters on top of the hot sugar mixture.
5. Place the puff pastry dough over the apples, put the skillet on a baking sheet and bake until the apples are soft, but not mushy and the pastry is golden brown, about 20 to 25 minutes. If necessary, lower the oven temperature to 350°F.
6. Remove the tart from the oven. To unmold, slip a pot holder under the skillet and hold a plate over the skillet with a second pot holder. Quickly invert the tart onto the plate. Serve hot with ice cream.
Roundstone Rye Ice Cream
Makes 3 cups
1 cup whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
½ vanilla bean
8 egg yolks
1/3 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons Catoctin Creek Organic Roundstone Rye
1. Place the milk and cream in a small saucepan. Split the vanilla bean in half lengthwise, add it to the milk mixture and bring to a boil.
2. In a separate saucepan, whisk the egg yolks and sugar together. Slowly whisk in the hot milk mixture.
3. Place the saucepan over medium heat and cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until the custard thickens slightly. Immediately pour the custard into a bowl, add the rye and let cool.
4. Freeze in an ice cream machine according to the manufacturer's instructions.
Quick Puff Pastry
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
4 sticks chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 cup cold water
½ teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1. Combine the water and lemon juice and refrigerate. Place the flour and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
2. Add the butter and mix on low speed, until the butter breaks into pieces about the size of a marble. With the mixer running, add the water- lemon mixture in a steady stream and mix for 30 seconds. Turn the dough, which will be a crumbly mass, onto a lightly floured work surface.
3. Using a rolling pin and bench scraper, shape the dough into a long rectangle. Using the bench scraper, carefully flip a third of the rectangle toward the center. Then, flip the other end toward the center (like you were folding a letter.) Rotate the dough 90 degrees.
4. Reshape and roll the dough into a rectangle. Repeat the folding and rotating process three more times for a total of four turns. If the dough becomes soft or sticky during this process, immediately refrigerate until firm.
5. After four turns, wrap the dough in plastic wrap. With your finger, make four indentations in the dough - one for each time the dough has been turned. Refrigerate the dough for at least 45 minutes until firm and well chilled. Quick Puff Pastry will keep refrigerated up to three days or frozen for several months.
WTTG FOX 5 & myfoxdc
Didn't find what you were looking for?