Investigators in three East Coast cities are still trying to determine if some recent deaths are tied to the party drug Molly.
One of the students who died is University of Virginia sophomore Shelley Goldsmith.
The University isn't waiting for toxicology reports to warn others about the dangers of Molly, and neither are Goldsmith's parents.
The University of Virginia has produced a splashy, fast-paced educational video about Molly and put it where students and their parents can easily get to it -- on YouTube.
Shelley's parents have also gone on national television sharing their pain to try and spare others of this almost unbearable grief.
On "The Doctors," Robert and Dede Goldsmith recalled the night their 19-year-old daughter, Shelley, died after attending a rave at a D.C. nightclub.
"Afterwards we found out they were all taking this drug Molly," Robert Goldsmith says.
By 8 p.m. on August 31, Shelley was dead.
"She did everything right up to this point,” says Robert. “She made one bad decision and it cost her life."
Dr. Cathleen Clancy of the National Capital Poison Control Center in D.C. says paramedics in the midst of trying to save Shelley called them for advice after learning she had taken Molly.
They have handled 48 similar calls so far this year -- way ahead of last year at this time.
"People come in agitated, rapid pulse rates, very restless,” says Clancy. “Sometimes they call because they've taken Molly, and still two days later, they're restless and not feeling themselves.”
Several had to be hospitalized for a few days, but they recovered. Dr. Clancy says Goldsmith is the only death from Molly in the D.C. region so far.
"I think it's very dangerous because I think people don't really know what they're taking," Dr. Clancy says. "I think education is the best place to go from here."
That is exactly why the University of Virginia has produced a video on Molly and put it on YouTube.
WTTG FOX 5 & myfoxdc5151 Wisconsin Ave. NWWashington, DC 20016Main Number: (202) 244-5151Newsroom: (202) email@example.com