Damian Sutton, 2, dies after being taken off life support - DC News FOX 5 DC WTTG

Damian Sutton, 2, dies after being taken off life support

Posted: Updated:
Damian Sutton, 2, died Tuesday morning at Children's of Hospital of Michigan. Damian Sutton, 2, died Tuesday morning at Children's of Hospital of Michigan.
Police say Ronald Dimambro, seen here in his booking photo, attacked the child last week. Police say Ronald Dimambro, seen here in his booking photo, attacked the child last week.
DETROIT (WJBK) -

A 2-year-old Macomb County boy, who suffered brain damage after an alleged beating at the hands of his mother's boyfriend, has died.

Family members say Damian Sutton died at 7:41 a.m. Tuesday at Children's Hospital of Michigan in Detroit.

"Damian had a very stressful night as the doctors weaned him off the medications that were no longer working to control his blood pressure and brain pressure," Damian's great-aunt Cora Leibowitz wrote in a statement to FOX 2.

Sutton had been in a medically induced coma since Wednesday as doctors worked to reduce swelling on his brain. He underwent brain surgery Sunday.

Police say Ronald Dimambro Jr. attacked the child last week while baby-sitting him at a Washington Township home.

Dimambro is being held without bond and is scheduled to be arraigned on amended charges on Sept. 10. 

"We ask that you continue to pray for our family as we continue this horrible and difficult journey," said Leibowitz.

Leibowitz says donations to help cover medical expenses and funeral costs can made online at www.gofundme.com/prayersfordamian or at any Fifth Third Bank branch nationwide.

FOX 2 will have much more on this story throughout the day.

- The Associated Press contributed to this report

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • 24-year-old women is $66 million jackpot winner

    24-year-old women is $66 million jackpot winner

    Thursday, July 31 2014 11:26 AM EDT2014-07-31 15:26:09 GMT
    The Michigan Lottery says a Port Huron woman is the winner of a $66 million Mega Millions jackpot that was drawn in mid-June.Kelsey Zachow says in a statement that she "could barely breathe" when she learned she was the winner.
    The Michigan Lottery says a Port Huron woman is the winner of a $66 million Mega Millions jackpot that was drawn in mid-June.Kelsey Zachow says in a statement that she "could barely breathe" when she learned she was the winner.
  • Winner of $66 Million Mega Millions Jackpot to be Announced

    Winner of $66 Million Mega Millions Jackpot to be Announced

    Thursday, July 31 2014 10:31 AM EDT2014-07-31 14:31:30 GMT
    Michigan Lottery news conference to announce the winner of the $66 million Mega Millions jackpot from Friday, June 13, 2014.
    Michigan Lottery news conference to announce the winner of the $66 million Mega Millions jackpot from Friday, June 13, 2014.
  • City of Detroit posts improvement updates online

    City of Detroit posts improvement updates online

    Thursday, July 31 2014 7:18 AM EDT2014-07-31 11:18:29 GMT
    Residents will be able to view the number of new streetlights installed in their Detroit neighborhood, how many lots were mown and the number of vacant houses demolished by going to the city's website.
    Residents will be able to view the number of new streetlights installed in their Detroit neighborhood, how many lots were mown and the number of vacant houses demolished by going to the city's website.
Powered by WorldNow

WTTG FOX 5 & myfoxdc
5151 Wisconsin Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20016
Main Number: (202) 244-5151
Newsroom: (202) 895-3000
fox5tips@wttg.com

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices