Falls Church apartment building evacuated after carbon monoxide - DC News FOX 5 DC WTTG

Falls Church apartment building evacuated after carbon monoxide leak

Posted: Updated:
FALLS CHURCH, Va. -

Fairfax County Fire and Rescue officials say three people have been taken to an area hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning.

Emergency crews were called to Barcroft Plaza Apartments in the 3600 block of Malibu Circle early Wednesday after a resident complained of nausea, headache and dizziness. Officials say crews took three people to an area hospital with life-threatening injuries.

Fairfax County Fire and Rescue spokesman Dan Schmidt says carbon monoxide levels in the complex were extremely high. The building was evacuated, but crews say they have located the source of the leak and most residents should be allowed back into the complex soon.

Carbon Monoxide Safety Tips

• CO alarms should be installed in a central location outside each sleeping area and on every level of the home and in other locations where required by applicable laws, codes or standards. For the best protection, interconnect all CO alarms throughout the home. When one sounds, they all sound.

• Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for placement and mounting height.

• Choose a CO alarm that has the label of a recognized testing laboratory.

• Test CO alarms at least once a month; replace them according to the manufacturer’s instructions.

• If the audible trouble signal sounds, check for low batteries. If the battery is low, replace it. If it still sounds, call the fire department.

• If the CO alarm sounds, immediately move to a fresh air location outdoors or by an open window or door. Make sure everyone inside the home is accounted for. Call for help from a fresh air location and stay there until emergency personnel arrive.

• If you need to warm a vehicle, remove it from the garage immediately after starting it. Do not run a vehicle or other fueled engine or motor indoors, even if garage doors are open. Make sure the exhaust pipe of a running vehicle is not covered with snow.

• During and after a snowstorm, make sure vents for the dryer, furnace, stove, and fireplace are clear of snow build-up.

• A generator should be used in a well-ventilated location outdoors away from windows, doors and vent openings.

• Gas or charcoal grills can produce CO — only use outside.


Powered by WorldNow
Untitled

WTTG FOX 5 & myfoxdc
5151 Wisconsin Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20016
Main Number: (202) 244-5151
Newsroom: (202) 895-3000
fox5tips@wttg.com

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices