Report: NYC moves Citi Bike stations from richest areas - DC News FOX 5 DC WTTG

Report: NYC moves Citi Bike stations from richest areas

Posted: Updated:
NEW YORK (MYFOXNY) -

A report in the NY Post says the city has removed Citi Bike stations from some wealthy neighborhoods.

The Post says the city has removed at least 10 Citi Bike stations since May that include racks at Barry Diller's IAC Building in Chelsea, a Midtown East condo that's home to millionaires and a West Soho co-op that's home to "Mad Men" star John Slattery.

An injunction was filed last week on behalf of community groups that in the last few months have been fighting the most controversial bike share station at Soho's Petrosino Square. Residents there have collected 600 petition signatures and 132 letters to the Department of Transportation.

According to the Post, elected officials, the community board and the Parks Department asked the city to relocate the rack, but the city hasn't moved the bikes.

Vendors and other activists also couldn't get the DOT to relocate a 40-bike station at Liberty Street and Broadway. That area is where five food carts used to park and serve an office at 140 Broadway.

The DOT issued a statement on Sunday:

"We've moved racks when necessary for technical reasons and to provide wider coverage, more docks and better service. The sites were selected through the most public process of any transportation project in history and these claims are false and misrepresented."   

  • Manhattan NewsManhattan NewsMore>>

  • Man struck and killed by NYC subway train

    Man struck and killed by NYC subway train

    Saturday, April 19 2014 3:19 PM EDT2014-04-19 19:19:38 GMT
    A man in his 60s was killed by an oncoming train in midtown Manhattan after jumping on the tracks to grab his personal belongings that fell.
    A man in his 60s was killed by an oncoming train in midtown Manhattan after jumping on the tracks to grab his personal belongings that fell.
  • Family of teen shot and killed by police sues NYC

    Family of teen shot and killed by police sues NYC

    The family of a 16-year-old Brooklyn boy whose fatal shooting by police last year sparked days of protests has filed a federal wrongful death lawsuit against New York City.
    The family of a 16-year-old Brooklyn boy whose fatal shooting by police last year sparked days of protests has filed a federal wrongful death lawsuit against New York City.
  • Woman wanted for baby snatch attempt in custody

    Woman wanted for baby snatch attempt in custody

    Friday, April 18 2014 9:57 PM EDT2014-04-19 01:57:17 GMT
    Police have taken into custody the woman believed to have tried to push a stroller with a baby inside away from a nanny in Chelsea. Tara Anne McDonald, 46, was being evaluated at a hospital Friday night. The attempted kidnapping occurred on 8th Ave. and 17th St. at about 3:45 p.m. on Thursday, police said.
    Police have taken into custody the woman believed to have tried to push a stroller with a baby inside away from a nanny in Chelsea. Tara Anne McDonald, 46, was being evaluated at a hospital Friday night. The attempted kidnapping occurred on 8th Ave. and 17th St. at about 3:45 p.m. on Thursday, police said.
Powered by WorldNow

WTTG FOX 5 & myfoxdc
5151 Wisconsin Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20016
Main Number: (202) 244-5151
Newsroom: (202) 895-3000
fox5tips@wttg.com

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices