Dept. of Labor attorney charged with sexual attack commits suici - DC News FOX 5 DC WTTG

Dept. of Labor attorney charged with sexual attack commits suicide in DC jail

Posted: Updated:

A Department of Labor Attorney was found dead in a D.C. Jail cell early Tuesday morning. Paul Mannina, 58, of Ashton, Maryland, was being held on a felony burglary charge and third degree sexual abuse in relation to an attack on a co-worker June 5th.

Mannina was found bleeding from a wound to his throat just before to law enforcement sources investigators questioned his cellmate but believe the Labor Department attorney cut himself with a razor.He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Monday, Mannina appeared in court to answer charges of attacking a female co-worker at her home on Chesapeake Street NW. He was accused of beating her, as well as spraying her with mace, using a stun gun on her, ripping off her shirt & bra and handcuffing her.

The victim, when first reporting the attack, claimed to not know her assailant. On Friday June 7 in an additional interview with D.C. Police she admitted she knew Mannina and he was the attacker.

She told police the two had made arraignments to meet at her home and spend the day together. They knew each other for 21 years. She told police Mannina had a crush on her.

According to court documents, the woman dropped her husband and son off at the airport at 6 a.m. and Mannina arrived at her house around 9 a.m. After letting Mannina into the house, he went out to his car to retrieve a red gym bag. At that time he approached the woman from behind and used the stun gun on her body. She was struck in the face numerous times during a struggle.

She stated she pleaded with Mannina to stop. Eventually he did, released her from the handcuffs and she led him out of the house.

She drove herself to Sibley hospital, followed by a neighbor.

After investigation, Mannina was arrested by D.C. Police June 13th.  Mannina worked at the Labor Department's Division of Plan Benefits Security.

Although corrections officials would not respond to questions, law enforcement sources say Mannina had a cellmate and was not on a suicide watch when he was discovered inside his cell.

D.C. police questioned Mannina's cellmate and a D.C. Police Report described the investigation as a "death report."

A separate source familiar with the case, said no medical alert forms were signed by his attorney and sent to the jail after his appearance in court.


Powered by WorldNow

WTTG FOX 5 & myfoxdc
5151 Wisconsin Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20016
Main Number: (202) 244-5151
Newsroom: (202) 895-3000

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices