Aiyana Jones' grandma testifies at officer's trial - DC News FOX 5 DC WTTG

Aiyana Jones' grandma testifies at officer's trial

Posted: Updated:
Aiyana Jones' grandmother sobs during her testimony in court on Monday. Aiyana Jones' grandmother sobs during her testimony in court on Monday.

Mertilla Jones broke down on the witness stand. The grandmother of seven-year-old Aiyana Jones was with the child asleep on the couch in the living room when Detroit Police Special Response raided the home, throwing a distractionary device through the window and busting through the door in search of a murderer.

"The gun was just pointed right there at Aiyana. He pulled the trigger.... I knew she was dead," she testified as she sobbed.

"They start coming into the house, and I'm steady screaming that they done killed Aiyana, and it seemed like was nobody paying me no attention."

However, Weekley's attorney argued that Jones hates police officers and has changed her story over time.

She was interviewed on the night her granddaughter was killed happened and said, "Smoke and flying glass and shots just rang through the window over our head."

Then there was this testimony in court.

"Regardless of what you may have said ever before, your testimony is what you said today. This officer, Officer Weekley, walked up to murder and put his gun to Aiyana's head and killed her. That's what you said," an attorney said to Jones.

"That's what I said," she replied.

Also on the stand was another member of the Special Response Team, the officer that threw that distractionary device through the window and went inside not realizing until later that a little girl had been shot.

"I went over to him (Weekley). We didn't talk. I just told him everything's going to be okay," said Officer Larry Davis.

"Did he tell you what happened?" he was asked.

"Pretty much, yes," Davis said.

"What did he say?" he was asked.

"Someone grabbed his weapon and it went off," Davis said.

That someone is allegedly Mertilla Jones, but she adamantly denies going for the weapon.

Amid the flash of light and the noise of the flash-bang distractionary device, prosecutors allege Joseph Weekley was grossly negligent in handling his weapon causing him to commit involuntary manslaughter.

"How do you make sure that it (your gun) doesn't discharge when you don't want it to?" Davis was asked.

"if it's not on safety, you keep your finger off the trigger," he said.

Jurors have seen video and heard so much about this flash-bang grenade. It's still not clear just when they will experience it for themselves during a field trip. Right now, they are all due back in court on Tuesday morning.

Powered by WorldNow

WTTG FOX 5 & myfoxdc
5151 Wisconsin Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20016
Main Number: (202) 244-5151
Newsroom: (202) 895-3000

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices