Neighbor helps blind man escape burning apartment - DC News FOX 5 DC WTTG

Neighbor helps blind man escape burning apartment

Updated:
MESA, Ariz. -

A man walked out of his Mesa condo to see his neighbor hanging from the second floor window of his burning townhouse.

Firefighters say the man who was trying to escape the fire is legally blind.

The blind man, who escaped the fire, was in the hospital Sunday night recovering from some serious burns.

Not only did the neighbor help him escape the burning house, he then took him to his house to tend to his wounds before help arrived.

"It was like out of a movie. Fire was wooshing up, it was kind of like, 'Holy crap, that's bad and it's right next door," said Chris Hansen, a neighbor.

Hansen is being hailed a hero after helping a legally blind man escape the second floor of his burning condo.

The man's condo at the Mesa Madrid Townhouses, near Alma School Road and Main Street in Mesa, caught fire just before 7 p.m. Sunday.

"He's considered legally blind. He smelled some smoke, he wasn't able to go downstairs, it was too hot , so he climbed out the second floor window. He broke it out, then he climbed out and hung on the railing that's underneath the window there until a neighbor came out and noticed him hanging there," said Mark Keough, Mesa Fire Battalion Chief.

"We step outside, I thought I smell something burning and I look over and my neighbor's hanging out the window by one arm, holding on to the bar. I just told my wife to call 911, I ran over and made him jump because the whole house was just engulfed in flames," said Hansen. "I said...'Just let go'. I felt bad because he fell landed on his back, but got him out of there."

The man, who lives by himself, cut his feet badly when he broke out his window.

Hansen wrapped them before paramedics arrived.

"When emergencies happen, you have to go into action," said Hansen.

Hansen said the man, believed to be in his 40s or 50s, was in shock.

Firefighters say he had 2nd and 3rd degree burns to his body.

"He was mumbling through it saying, 'I don't know what happened, I just walked out my bedroom, the house was on fire'," said Hansen.

The neighbor says the man had a dog, but as of Sunday night, firefighters didn't know if the dog survived or if it was a service dog.

Firefighters believe the fire started in the downstairs living room but they don't know the cause.

No other condos were damaged.

Didn't find what
you were looking for?

Powered by WorldNow
Untitled

WTTG FOX 5 & myfoxdc
5151 Wisconsin Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20016
Main Number: (202) 244-5151
Newsroom: (202) 895-3000
fox5tips@wttg.com

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices