Pairing the right wine with summer dishes can be the icing on the cake to a delicious meal.
Nino Franco Faive Rose '10
Drouhin Chorey les Beaune '10
Miner Family Viognier '11
Peter Zemmer Riesling '11
Ricasoli "Albia" Rose '11
Cusumano Nero D'Avola '11
SUMMER WINE TIPS
Drink light white wines: Pinot Grigio, Riesling and Sauvignon Blanc
Red Wines: Beaujolais, Dolcetto and Chianti
Young Barbera or Zinfandel - for Burgers, hot dogs and Pizza
Store wines in a cool dark area, avoid the sun.
Brooklyn Bangers Slammin Sausages
- Sausage cooking rule - warm sausage in water at bottom of pan. When water evaporates, the sausage is done
Brooklyn Banger Spicy Beef Sausage- Spicy Slaw
½ Napa Cabbage outer leaves removed- cut in half and sliced finely
1 Red onion- peeled and thinly sliced
2 medium Carrots-peeled and shreded
½ clove of garlic- finely chopped
4 Scallions- cleaned- the bottom sliced finely, the tops coursely
½ cup sour cream
1T ginger- grated
2T dijion mustard
Zest of two lemons chopped fine
½ cup parsley leaves or cilantro leaves- rough chop
salt and Black pepper
lemon juice to taste
1) In a large bowl combine the cabbage, red onion, carrot, and scallions- toss well
2) in a small bowl combine garlic, ginger, sour cream, mustard, and lemon zest
3) now season the cabbage mix with salt and pepper- toss well- then add the herbs - toss well
4) To finish add the sour cream mixture- mix well- then season with the lemon juice
5) Taste for seasoning - serve
Brooklyn Banger Cheese Brat- Potato Salad
2# Yukon Gold potatoes peeled and diced
½ pound bacon cut into ¼ in matchsticks
1 clove garlic chopped fine
1 small red onion diced small dice
¼ cup grainy mustard
champage vinegar to taste
Black Pepper and salt to taste
1 Cup parsley leaves rough chop
Brooklyn Banger Wiesswurst-with jazzed up Sauerkraut, mustard
32 oz. Jar of Saurkraut
1 large white onion sliced
1 granny smith apple peeled and grated
2 garlic cloves sliced
½ of slab bacon
2 cups white wine
1T caraway seeds
4 juniper berries crushed
1 large carrot
½ pound Yukon potatoes
1) add bacon to a medium size sautee pan render over a medium heat.
2) When the bacon begins to brown add the onion, garlic, caraway seed, and juniper berries. Stir the onions and cook until they are soft and sweet, add the apple and the white wine. cook for 5 minutes. Now add the saurkraut
3) Stir the mixture then add the carrots and potatoes and cook over a medium low heat until the potatoes are tender.
King Salmon Tartar
1 ½ # king salmon Filet Skin off
1T seeded and diced jalapenos
3T Diced Shallots
1T lemon zest
!/4 cup cilantro leaves
½ cup diced jicama
Lime juice to taste
2 ripe haas Avocados seed and peeled
1) Place the Salmon filet in the freezer for 30 minutes- then with a sharp knife dice the salmon carefully in to 1/8 inch squares.
2) Place the salmon in a non- reactive bowl. add shallots, lemon zest, jicama, jalapenos, and olive oil. Gently mix together. Now season to taste with salt, Mixing very gently. set in fridge.
3) Now thinly slice the avocados length wise divide the slices between the six chilled salad plates. Each plate should have 3 slices shingled on the bottom- season them with a squeeze of lime and a sprinkle of salt.
4) now divide the salmon between the six plates carefully placing the tartar over the avocado- now drape avocado slices over the tartar on each plate. Drizzle with olive olive, a squeeze of lime juice and a sprinkle of chili.
Grilled Pork Chop-Anson Mills Farro, Apricot Mostarda, and Bitter greens
Marinade for Pork Chops
6 Double cut pork chops
3 cloves garlic thinly sliced
3 shallots peeled and thinly sliced
Zest of one orange and juice
Zest of one lemon
3T picked thyme
2T Course ground Black Pepper
2T finely ground coriander seed
Chili Flake to taste
½ Cup Olive oil
1) marinate chops two days before using-combine all the ingredients- make sure to evenly distribute marinade between the chops- store the chops in a non-reactive dish covered In the fridge for two days before using.
2) To cook the pork chops first remove the marinade and season the chops with salt and pepper- now get good grill marks on a clean preheated grill- once you have the marks- move the chops to a slow cooking part of the grill or finish in the oven. Once the chops are done to your liking- let them rest in a warm place for 10 minutes - than serve
Farro for the Pork Chops
2 cups Anson Mills slow roasted farro
1 small Spanish onion diced
1 clove garlic chopped
4 cups chicken broth, or water
Salt and Pepper
1) Sweat the onions and garlic in olive oil and butter until soft.
2) Add the farro and stir to coat the grains of farro with the butter and olive oil. Toast the farro for 5 minutes.
3) Add the chicken stock to the farro, stir and add a touch of salt. Cook over a medium heat until the farro is just tender about 20 minutes.
2 cups dried apricots diced
1 cup of water
½ cup of sugar
3T of whole yellow mustard seeds
Mustard oil to taste
1) Bring water and sugar to boil in sauce pan add the diced apricots turn off heat.
2) Stir the mustard seeds into the mixture- cool
3) Stir in mustard oil to taste- store in fridge but serve at room temp.
1 head of Raddicio leaves separated and washed
1 bunch of arugula stems removed and washed
2T olive oil
Black pepper to taste
To Serve- divide farro between 6 warm dinner plates- then place a pork chop on each plate scatter mostarda and dressed greens and serve.