When the mercury begins to rise, so do the numbers of drownings in the state. Wednesday night, a 17-month-old boy died after being found face down in a pool.
Rescuers say the little boy was in the water for upwards of 15 minutes. He got out and into the pool through a doggie door. Officials are now spreading about doggie doors.
We spoke to a safety expert today who says toddlers will think of a path to a pool that an adult may never think of -- that includes a doggie doors.
In the past two months there has been two drownings where kids crawled through a doggie door, ending up in a pool.
The first happened last month in Mesa. You can see from video from SkyFox just how close the doggie door was to the pool.
The most recent was Wednesday night in Glendale when a 17-month-old crawled through the doggie door, ending up face down in a relative's pool for more than 15 minutes.
"These unfortunate events seem to happen all too much throughout the year," says Forrest Smith, Mesa Fire Captain.
"Throughout the year, Arizona experiences being number two in the country for drownings."
He says these recent incidents are a tragic wake-up call to parents that kids can get into trouble in a matter of seconds.
"The average size dog door is that for a 40 pound dog, which is essentially the size of [an 8 1/2 by 11] paper."
Supervision is the best prevention, but Capt. Smith says barriers could save a life.
"If you have a dog door you want to take due caution in making sure you have that door shut and have those barriers."
If you have a doggie door, keep it locked when it's not in use, and keep a barrier around your pool.
Follow this story: Baby slips out doggie door, drowns in pool
WTTG FOX 5 & myfoxdc
Didn't find what you were looking for?