Man tries to pay part of impound fee with $70 in quarters - DC News FOX 5 DC WTTG

Man tries to pay part of impound fee with $70 in quarters

Posted: Updated:
Troy Boomer, Junior said Fraser Police wouldn't accept $70 in quarters when he first tried to pay his impound fee. Troy Boomer, Junior said Fraser Police wouldn't accept $70 in quarters when he first tried to pay his impound fee.
FRASER, Mich. (WJBK) -

Seven ten dollar bills or 280 quarters, either way it all adds up to $70.  So why would police refuse a man's payment?

"I was supposed to be arrested," said Troy Boomer, Junior.

The 25-year-old was in his 1997 Pontiac Grand Am when he said he went through a construction zone way too fast in Fraser.

"I was speeding in a construction zone, and I didn't have proof of insurance," he said.  "My license was suspended in Michigan."

He was cited for no valid license, speeding, a cracked windshield, no proof of insurance and failure to register his new Michigan address with the Secretary of State.  Boomer was slapped with five tickets on that stop.

"Basically he said I was supposed to go to jail, and I didn't," Boomer explained.  "He impounded my car and gave me five tickets."

Boomer had his bike in the trunk, so he peddled to his Fraser home.  He needed $170 to get his car out of impound.  He had $100 in cash, so Boomer pulled his backup pitcher of quarters held for savings and took $70 worth of quarters to the police department to get his car back.

"They wanted $70, and I quote, they guy said, '$70 exact change.  We can make change here.'  And I said, 'Good because I brought change.'  And I set it down.  And he said, 'We can't take that,'" Boomer said.

He shot video in the lobby when he took his pitcher of quarters to the front desk.

"You need to turn it into currency," Boomer was told.

"That is currency," he remarked.

"Bills," was the response.

"You will not take that, correct?" Boomer asked.

"We will take bills only," he was told.

I talked with Fraser Police.  They told me the dispatcher greets the public and takes 911 calls for police, fire and EMS in Fraser and simply does not have the time to count out $70 in change.

So Boomer left and came back with 70 singles.

"I actually took my mom's money, and I went to the bank and got $70 in $1 bills and gave it to him and watched him staple that to a piece of paper," Boomer said.

• Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

Two teens shot and killed on Detroit's west side

Monday, September 1 2014 12:20 AM EDT2014-09-01 04:20:04 GMT
    Two families are grieving after the bodies of two teenagers -- a boy and a girl -- were found in the street Sunday morning on Detroit's west side. Both were shot and killed.

Traveling Vietnam memorial wall stops in Hamburg

Monday, September 1 2014 12:07 AM EDT2014-09-01 04:07:54 GMT
    It was a somber evening Sunday in Hamburg in Livingston County. A large crowd turned out to see the Vietnam traveling memorial wall.

Man claims he was beaten by discount store clerk

Sunday, August 31 2014 11:56 PM EDT2014-09-01 03:56:19 GMT
    "He put his hand on me and slammed me into the racks, put me in a (mixed martial arts) arm bar, then put me in a choke hold," Lacey Wheeler said.
  • Ron SavageRon SavageMore>>

Traveling Vietnam memorial wall stops in Hamburg

Monday, September 1 2014 12:07 AM EDT2014-09-01 04:07:54 GMT

Three sisters mourn murdered father as police search for killer

Saturday, August 30 2014 12:15 AM EDT2014-08-30 04:15:35 GMT
    Starting a new school year is stressful enough, but now Keanya Farrell, 9, her 10-year-old sister Khloee and 18-year-old sister Lexus are all faced with life without their father."I'm heartbroken," Keanya said. "It's like my heart is in a billion pieces."

Two children injured in fall from Ferris wheel at fair

Friday, August 22 2014 11:47 PM EDT2014-08-23 03:47:08 GMT
    Two children were injured when they fell from a ferris wheel at the Chelsea Community Fair.
Powered by WorldNow
Untitled

WTTG FOX 5 & myfoxdc
5151 Wisconsin Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20016
Main Number: (202) 244-5151
Newsroom: (202) 895-3000
fox5tips@wttg.com

Didn't find what you were looking for?
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices