Empire State Building IPO clears legal hurdle - DC News FOX 5 DC WTTG

Empire State Building IPO clears legal hurdle

MyFoxNY.com file photo MyFoxNY.com file photo

By TOM HAYS | AP

NEW YORK (AP) - A legal challenge to an ambitious plan to let the public buy shares in 1 of New York City's most famous landmarks - the Empire State Building - was cast aside on Tuesday in a ruling by a Manhattan judge.

Judge O. Peter Sherwood rejected arguments by a small group of current investors in the building that the initial public offering would violate state law.

The ruling stems from a long-running dispute over plans by real estate magnates Peter Malkin and his son Anthony to offer the public shares in their holdings in Manhattan and Connecticut, including the 102-story Empire State Building. The offering is expected to raise $1 billion for a new company called Empire State Trust Inc.

Some of the country's marque buildings, including the General Motors building in New York and the Embarcadero Center in San Francisco, are owned by publicly traded companies. But the IPO for the Empire State Building is viewed as a rare chance for investors to own a piece of history - an iconic Art Deco skyscraper visited by millions of tourists each year and featured in films like "King Kong" and "Sleepless in Seattle."

When the Empire State Building changed hands in 1961, the buyers sold 1,100 shares at $10,000 per share to help finance the deal. Some of the 3,300 investors were ordinary New Yorkers who pulled together just enough cash to buy partial shares.

The Empire State Building's controlling investors have said they are close to getting approval of 80% of the smaller shareholders for the public offering - the percentage needed to go forward.

"We are pleased by the court's ruling and are proceeding with our solicitation with the intention of closing as soon as we reach the approval threshold," said Hugh Burns, spokesman for Malkin Holdings. "The fact is that far more investors support this transaction than oppose it. We are focused on delivering the majority what they want as quickly as possible."

There was no immediate comment from the plans' opponents, but their lawyers have said they would appeal if the ruling went against them.

Before Tuesday's ruling, a small group of holdouts had challenged a provision that would allow the Malkins to buy them out for $100 a share if they voted against the plan. The proposed public offering values the shares at more than $300,000 each.

A lawyer for the plaintiffs had argued that the provision was being use to coerce the holdouts into switching their votes, and that they deserved fair value for their shares no matter how they voted. Attorneys for the Malkins countered that the provision was well within the law, and intended to keep a small minority from dictating the future of the property.

Sherwood's ruling says the plaintiffs had wrongly sought to assert so-called "appraisal rights" that normally apply to deals involving mergers or consolidations.

"The applicants are not entitled to assert any appraisal rights because the transaction is neither a merger nor a consolidation as defined in the Limited Liability Company law," the judge wrote.

Earlier this year, Sherwood gave preliminary approval to a $55 million settlement in a lawsuit brought by shareholders who sued over tax and other issues. Final approval could come at a hearing scheduled for Thursday.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • Manhattan NewsManhattan NewsMore>>

  • Search for woman who tried to snatch baby in stroller

    NYPD: Woman tried to snatch baby in stroller

    Friday, April 18 2014 7:37 AM EDT2014-04-18 11:37:43 GMT
    Police want to question a woman who tried to push a stroller with a baby inside away from a nanny in Chelsea. The incident occurred on 8th Ave. and 17th St. at about 4 p.m. on Thursday. The 8-month-old baby was not harmed. People who were in the area jumped in to stop the woman before she took off southbound on 8th Ave., according to police. A sketch was released on Friday of the suspect.
    Police want to question a woman who tried to push a stroller with a baby inside away from a nanny in Chelsea. The incident occurred on 8th Ave. and 17th St. at about 4 p.m. on Thursday. The 8-month-old baby was not harmed. People who were in the area jumped in to stop the woman before she took off southbound on 8th Ave., according to police. A sketch was released on Friday of the suspect.
  • Manhattan restaurant proactive on food allergens

    Manhattan restaurant proactive on food allergens

    Thursday, April 17 2014 10:48 PM EDT2014-04-18 02:48:47 GMT
    From the St. Louis spare to a rack of beef, ribs are the specialty for Chef Eddie Montalvo at Blue Smoke Restaurant in the Flat Iron District of Manhattan. While the ribs are smoked for flavor, they are cooked gluten- and nut-free. The restaurant pays special attention to food allergies. Sloan Miller, president of Allergic Girl Resources, says 15 million Americans have a diagnosed food allergy. Eight foods typically set off reactions: peanuts, tree nuts, fish, shellfish, wheat, dairy, egg, an...
    From the St. Louis spare to a rack of beef, ribs are the specialty for Chef Eddie Montalvo at Blue Smoke Restaurant in the Flat Iron District of Manhattan. While the ribs are smoked for flavor, they are cooked gluten- and nut-free. The restaurant pays special attention to food allergies. Sloan Miller, president of Allergic Girl Resources, says 15 million Americans have a diagnosed food allergy. Eight foods typically set off reactions: peanuts, tree nuts, fish, shellfish, wheat, dairy, egg, an...
  • NYC to overhaul Superstorm Sandy rebuilding program

    NYC to overhaul Superstorm Sandy rebuilding program

    Thursday, April 17 2014 9:30 PM EDT2014-04-18 01:30:41 GMT
    Mayor Bill de Blasio unveiled a sweeping report Thursday that examined New York City's recovery progress from Superstorm Sandy and promised to reform a much-maligned program that was supposed to rebuild wrecked homes. Speaking to about 50 homeowners, officials and community leaders in a storm-battered Staten Island neighborhood, the mayor said the city is aiming to start rebuilding an ambitious 500 homes through its federally funded Build-It-Back program.
    Mayor Bill de Blasio unveiled a sweeping report Thursday that examined New York City's recovery progress from Superstorm Sandy and promised to reform a much-maligned program that was supposed to rebuild wrecked homes. Speaking to about 50 homeowners, officials and community leaders in a storm-battered Staten Island neighborhood, the mayor said the city is aiming to start rebuilding an ambitious 500 homes through its federally funded Build-It-Back program.
Powered by WorldNow

WTTG FOX 5 & myfoxdc
5151 Wisconsin Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20016
Main Number: (202) 244-5151
Newsroom: (202) 895-3000
fox5tips@wttg.com

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices