Small fire causes big problems inside Cabela's in Dundee - DC News FOX 5 DC WTTG

Small fire causes big problems inside Cabela's in Dundee

Posted: Updated:
(Credit: Cabela's in Dundee (Credit: Cabela's in Dundee
DUNDEE, Mich. (WJBK) -

An early morning fire has shut down one of the state of Michigan's biggest tourist destinations for up to three days.

According to the the fire broke out inside the Cabela's in Dundee at 2:30 a.m. and quickly spread soot throughout the interior of the building. No one was hurt in the fire that started in a ceiling light fixture.

The smoke and chemicals used to put out the flames spread a sooty film throughout the store. "Every stitch of clothing has to go," Dundee Sgt. Brett Ansel told reporters. "Everything is covered in soot," he said.

A ceiling light fixture caught fire inside and embers or sparks spread toward the men's clothing area where a section of Under Armour clothing ignited. Employees were able to use fire extinguishers to put out the flames and the Dundee Township Volunteer Fire Department arrived at the scene.

A company is arriving and must clean the entire store, including the many animal mounts that are on display.

On its website Cabela's asks customers to call 734-529-4700 prior to visiting to ensure that the store has reopened.

The Cabela's in Dundee is located just off U.S. 23 and is listed as a 225,000 square retail store. The showroom is considered one of the top tourist destinations in Michigan with an estimated 6 million visitors each year.


Powered by WorldNow

WTTG FOX 5 & myfoxdc
5151 Wisconsin Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20016
Main Number: (202) 244-5151
Newsroom: (202) 895-3000

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices