Twin brothers are being called heroes after waking a family as their home burned overnight.
They were on their way home from work when they smelled a fire and instead of calling 911, they searched for the home near 43rd Avenue and McDowell Road.
"I'm just glad the creator put 'em in that place at that time, driving down the road so they could help us," said Eric Smith.
Smith expressed endless gratitude to the strangers who smelled smoke and searched the neighborhood for a burning home.
"And I noticed flames coming out of the attic and I told him to pull over so we can get the family out," said Jose Ramirez.
His brother Josue added, "I see where the fire's at..I just ran and I see the door, opened it to see if anybody was in there, yelled out, a guy came out. I was like, 'Hey man, your house is on fire.' He goes, 'For reals?' I was like, 'Get everyone out, man."
Firefighters believe the fire began because of a problem with the bathroom fan, then it spread to the attic while the family was asleep. The smoke detector didn't go off.
"I didn't hear no fire alarms..so hearing someone banging on my door was scary enough. Seeing all the smoke..it was really scary," said Dharshina Begay.
6-year-old Naatsilid and his 1-year-old brother Gai Schi spent the morning playing with our cameras and a new teddy bear. Their family knows what could have happened if it weren't for the Ramirez brothers.
"Very special, very, very special guys and I am very thankful that they were here at the time," said Smith.
"It's just karma. That's what I think," said Jose.
But they did crack some smiles as they were called heroes.
"I feel good. I feel good," said Josue.
Two pets, a dog and cat, also made it out safely.
The family owns a T-shirt company and they were able to get all of the inventory that they had stored inside the home out before it caught on fire. However, some equipment for their business was ruined.
The family does have a place to stay.
WTTG FOX 5 & myfoxdc
Didn't find what you were looking for?