After Jan. Fire, Philly Residents Still Concerned Over Home - DC News FOX 5 DC WTTG

After Jan. Fire, Philly Residents Still Concerned Over Safety Of Burned Out Home

Posted: Updated:
The charred ruins of a home at 2815 Normandy are still seen after a January fire. The charred ruins of a home at 2815 Normandy are still seen after a January fire.
PHILADELPHIA -

FOX 29 is working to get results for residents of a Northeast Philadelphia neighborhood who say an eyesore home has become even more dangerous since a January fire.

The 2800 block of Normandy Drive in the city's Normandy section is home to lots of families with young children.

And that makes the charred ruins at 2815 Normandy an accident waiting to happen.

"I was a small kid once myself, and you're curious," says John Wisniewski, president of the Normandy Civic Association to FOX 29's Bruce Gordon. "You know, you want to see what happened."

"What happened" was a January 24 fire that gutted the house.

City records show the owner as Jorge Oyola, Jr. FOX 29 could not find a current local address or phone number for Oyola.

The home had been vacant for many months at the time of the fire, and had become a magnet for curious kids, so the fire came as no surprise.

But nearly two months after the flames were extinguished, the mess left behind—broken glass, melted siding and nails everywhere—is exactly as it was.

"No boards. Not even a fence around it, to keep people away," says Lisa ripper, a mother of three who lives just down the block. "It's horrible."

Ripper says 2815 Normandy is actually in worse shape since the fire.

"Kids have (sprayed) graffiti on the side of it. Every time you go by, there's siding that has come down or there's stuff on the lawn."

Gordon called the Philadelphia Department of Licenses and Inspections to see what could be done to safeguard the property while the owner is located.

An L & I spokeswoman says the city considers the home "imminently dangerous" and plans to demolish the gutted structure by April 30.

But because it's not considered dangerous in the sense that it could collapse onto another building—like a row house— the home will not be sealed up or fenced off until it's knocked down.

Until then, neighbors will be forced to hold their breath, hoping nobody gets hurt wandering inside.

"Our concerns," say Wisniewski, "are that people will venture in-- young kids-- just to see what it looks like, and something happening once they're inside."

  • Send Email To FOX 29 News

    Have problems? Tell us.

    FOX 29 News is #GettingResults.

    * denotes required fields
    We're sorry, but only one entry is allowed per person.
    Thank you for your continued interest.

    Thanks for contacting FOX 29 News!

  • Local NewsMore>>

  • Only On Fox: Arsonist On The Loose In South Jersey Town

    Only On Fox: Arsonist On The Loose In South Jersey Town

    Wednesday, April 16 2014 4:45 PM EDT2014-04-16 20:45:07 GMT
    It started with a brush fire, then another fire at the rear of this home on Monroe Street and finally a blaze that swept through this vacant home up the block, just a few feet away from where Emma Sethman
    It started with a brush fire, then another fire at the rear of this home on Monroe Street and finally a blaze that swept through this vacant home up the block, just a few feet away from where Emma Sethman
  • Beautiful Easter Sunday

    Saturday, April 19 2014 8:09 PM EDT2014-04-20 00:09:12 GMT

    NICE EASTER WEEKEND

    The first half of the holiday weekend has been great and Easter Sunday looks just as nice. Clouds thin out late tonight with temperatures falling back to the 40s.

    Initially it'll be jacket weather early Sunday morning but plenty of sunshine will warm us into the 60s by afternoon.  High temperatures will be a few degrees cooler than Saturday.

    It will be noticeably cooler and breezy at the shore with highs in the low 50s.  Quiet conditions continue into Monday.

  • Overturned Boat Victim Identified, Search Continues

    Overturned Boat Victim Identified, Search Continues

    Overturned Boat Victim Identified, Search Continues

    Saturday, April 19 2014 7:38 PM EDT2014-04-19 23:38:03 GMT
    The Coast Guard have suspended an emergency search for a man who went overboard in a boat after he went missing. New Jersey State Police have identified him as 49-year old John J. Poltonowicz.
    The Coast Guard have suspended an emergency search for a man who went overboard in a boat after he went missing. New Jersey State Police have identified him as 49-year old John J. Poltonowicz.
Powered by WorldNow

WTTG FOX 5 & myfoxdc
5151 Wisconsin Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20016
Main Number: (202) 244-5151
Newsroom: (202) 895-3000
fox5tips@wttg.com

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices