Get ready to savor D.C.'s international flavor!
Chefs from ten different embassies face off for a one of a kind competition in the Embassy Chef Challenge!
FOX 5's Holly Morris visited the Korean Cultural Center for a preview!
Pan-fried Dangun Legend Roll
Kimchi2, thin sliced beef, garlic, eggs, blended olive oil, soy sauce, white pepper, sesame oil, sugar
1. In a heated pan sauté all the thin sliced garlic without coloring them.
2. In a bowl mix soy sauce, white pepper, sugar, sesame oil, and marinate beef at least for 10 minutes and sear in an oiled pan lightly.
3. Put sautéed garlic on the beef and make a roll first and then make a roll again w/ beef roll and kimchi outside.
4. Coat the rolls w/ flour and beat egg and sear in a med. high heated pan until it has nice color all around.
5. Garnish as you wish and serve hot.
Dangun was the legendary founder of Gojoseon, the first Korean kingdom. He is said to be the "grandson of heaven", and to have founded the kingdom in 2333 BC. The legend goes that a tiger and a bear prayed to the heavens that they might become human. Upon hearing their prayers, god gave them 20 cloves of garlic and a bundle of mugwort, ordering them to eat only this sacred food and remain out of the sunlight for 100 days. The tiger gave up after about twenty days and left the cave. However, the bear remained and was transformed into a woman. The bear-woman, known as Ungnyeo, was grateful and made offerings to Hwanung. However, she lacked a husband, and soon became sad and prayed beneath a divine tree to be blessed with a child. God was moved by her prayers and he took her for his wife. Soon she gave birth to a son, who was named Dangun. Kimchi is a traditional fermented Korean dish made of vegetables with a variety of seasonings. It is Korea's national dish, and there are hundreds of varieties made with a main vegetable ingredient such as napa cabbage, radish, scallion, or cucumber.
WTTG FOX 5 & myfoxdc
Didn't find what you were looking for?