2 firefighters hurt after roof collapse in Auburn Gresham blaze - DC News FOX 5 DC WTTG

2 firefighters hurt after roof collapse in Auburn Gresham blaze

Posted: Updated:
Photo courtesy of FOX 32's Joanie Lum via Twitter. Photo courtesy of FOX 32's Joanie Lum via Twitter.
CHICAGO (Sun-Times Media Wire) -

Two firefighters were injured while battling a blaze on the South Side early Tuesday after a porch roof of a vacant home collapsed on them, forcing the two through the floorboards and into a basement.

The firefighters suffered minor injuries, but "it could have been a different story" had the basement also been on fire, said Deputy Fire Commissioner John Nicholas.

The fire erupted in the vacant home in the 8800 block of South Parnell Avenue about 3:44 a.m. and quickly spread to a neighboring home where a family lives, authorities and neighbors said.

Aaliyah Russell, who lives across the street, said her brother woke her after the fire erupted and together they rushed to the window with another sibling to take a look.

"We all went to the window and there were big flames," she said.

Russell said her sister then ran over to the occupied home and woke the family up.

Firefighters arriving on the scene sprayed the outside of the two homes while the two who were later injured attempted to enter the vacant home to search for vagrants and battle the blaze from the inside, Nicholas said.

When two firefighters reached the first-story porch, the roof collapsed and they tumbled through the floor into the basement, suffering injuries common with a fall, Nicholas said.

Their colleagues quickly broke out a basement side window and were able to get the injured firefighters out of the burning building, Nicholas said.

The roof was not on fire when it collapsed on the firefighters, who were taken in good condition to Little Company of Mary Hospital in Evergreen Park, Nicholas said.

Early Tuesday morning the vacant house smoldered as firefighters on an extended ladder hosed-down the home next door. A firefighter chopped holes in the roof with a fire axe as flashlights shown from the inside of a burned-out upper story.

A neighbor, who declined to give his name, said residents of the house next door had recently made a number of home improvements.

One woman, who said her sister lived at that house, embraced a sobbing woman as the two surveyed the damage. They politely declined to answer questions.

Share Your Photos & Video

Powered by WorldNow
Untitled

WTTG FOX 5 & myfoxdc
5151 Wisconsin Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20016
Main Number: (202) 244-5151
Newsroom: (202) 895-3000
fox5tips@wttg.com

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices