Forest Whitaker frisked in NYC deli, accused of shoplifting - DC News FOX 5 DC WTTG

Deli apologizes to Forest Whitaker for pat down

Posted: Updated:
Actor Forest Whitaker arrives at the Santa Barbara International Film Festival to present the festival's American Riviera Award to actress Sandra Bullock in Santa Barbara, Calif. (AP Photo/Michael A. Mariant) Actor Forest Whitaker arrives at the Santa Barbara International Film Festival to present the festival's American Riviera Award to actress Sandra Bullock in Santa Barbara, Calif. (AP Photo/Michael A. Mariant)
NEW YORK (MYFOXNY) -

A representative for the Manhattan deli where Oscar-winning actor Forest Whitaker was frisked for allegedly shoplifting says "management deeply regrets" the incident, reported TMZ.com.

Whitaker was about to leave the Milano Market on 2892 Broadway on Friday when one of the workers there stopped Whitaker claiming he saw him steal an item from a store shelf.

The worker then allegedly gave him a humiliating pat down in front of everyone in the store.

No stolen items were found and Whitaker left the store, but his spokeswoman said the incident violated the actor's rights.

"While we can not delve into the employee's mindset, we do not believe that he was racially motivated in his actions, simply misguided," the rep tells TMZ.com. The worker was fired, according to the celebrity news website.

Whitaker is in town filming "Black Nativity" with Jennifer Hudson.  

 Store employees have denied the incident took place, according to the New York Post.

  • Manhattan NewsManhattan NewsMore>>

  • Man struck and killed by NYC subway train

    Man struck and killed by NYC subway train

    Saturday, April 19 2014 3:19 PM EDT2014-04-19 19:19:38 GMT
    A man in his 60s was killed by an oncoming train in midtown Manhattan after jumping on the tracks to grab his personal belongings that fell.
    A man in his 60s was killed by an oncoming train in midtown Manhattan after jumping on the tracks to grab his personal belongings that fell.
  • Family of teen shot and killed by police sues NYC

    Family of teen shot and killed by police sues NYC

    The family of a 16-year-old Brooklyn boy whose fatal shooting by police last year sparked days of protests has filed a federal wrongful death lawsuit against New York City.
    The family of a 16-year-old Brooklyn boy whose fatal shooting by police last year sparked days of protests has filed a federal wrongful death lawsuit against New York City.
  • Woman wanted for baby snatch attempt in custody

    Woman wanted for baby snatch attempt in custody

    Friday, April 18 2014 9:57 PM EDT2014-04-19 01:57:17 GMT
    Police have taken into custody the woman believed to have tried to push a stroller with a baby inside away from a nanny in Chelsea. Tara Anne McDonald, 46, was being evaluated at a hospital Friday night. The attempted kidnapping occurred on 8th Ave. and 17th St. at about 3:45 p.m. on Thursday, police said.
    Police have taken into custody the woman believed to have tried to push a stroller with a baby inside away from a nanny in Chelsea. Tara Anne McDonald, 46, was being evaluated at a hospital Friday night. The attempted kidnapping occurred on 8th Ave. and 17th St. at about 3:45 p.m. on Thursday, police said.
Powered by WorldNow

WTTG FOX 5 & myfoxdc
5151 Wisconsin Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20016
Main Number: (202) 244-5151
Newsroom: (202) 895-3000
fox5tips@wttg.com

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices