Sen. Frank Lautenberg to retire - DC News FOX 5 DC WTTG

Sen. Frank Lautenberg won't seek reelection

Posted: Updated:
Sen. Frank R. Lautenberg, D-New Jersey. (U.S. Senate portrait) Sen. Frank R. Lautenberg, D-New Jersey. (U.S. Senate portrait)

Sen. Frank Lautenberg, D-N.J., will not seek reelection in 2014, according to a statement released by his office on Thursday.

Lautenberg, 89, plans to formally announce his plans at an event in Paterson, his hometown, on Friday.

"This is not the end of anything, but rather the beginning of a two-year mission to pass new gun safety laws, protect children from toxic chemicals, and create more opportunities for working families in New Jersey," Lautenberg said in a statement. "While I may not be seeking re-election, there is plenty of work to do before the end of this term and I'm going to keep fighting as hard as ever for the people of New Jersey in the U.S. Senate."  

Lautenberg was first elected in 1982. After retiring once before in 2001, he returned to the U.S. Senate in 2003 after replacing embattled Sen. Bob Torricelli on the ballot.

His retirement clears a path for Newark Mayor Cory Booker, a Democrat, to succeed him. Several weeks ago, Booker said he would pass on running for governor and instead "explore" a run for the Senate, which prompted Lautenberg to make several less-than-flattering statements about the mayor.

In a statement, Booker praised Lautenberg's leadership.

"Senator Frank Lautenberg has been a champion for the people of New Jersey for decades and his legacy of service will improve the lives of all American's for years to come," Booker said. "Since I have been mayor, he has been an invaluable partner in so many of Newark's recent accomplishments and successes. I look forward to continuing to work with him for the remainder of his term in the senate and for many years to come."

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, a Republican who has called Lautenberg a "partisan hack" and an "embarrassment," tweeted kinder sentiments on Thursday."

"@FrankLautenberg & I have had our differences through the years...," the governor tweeted. "...but I've always respected him for his tenacity, devotion to NJ & his love & commitment to public service. ... I'll always be grateful for his doggedness in fighting with me & the delegation to ensure congressional passage of #Sandy aid package. ... I wish him the best in his retirement."

  • New Jersey NewsNew Jersey NewsMore>>

  • New Jersey detective acquitted in Maryland highway shooting

    NJ detective acquitted in Md. highway shooting

    Thursday, July 31 2014 5:20 PM EDT2014-07-31 21:20:31 GMT
    A jury has found a New Jersey detective not guilty in the slaying of a driver during an alleged road-rage incident. Joseph Walker, 41, an investigator for the Hudson County, New Jersey, prosecutor's office, was found not guilty on all counts on Wednesday in Anne Arundel County Circuit Court. He had been charged with first-degree murder in the death of Joseph Harvey, 36, of Landsdowne.
    A jury has found a New Jersey detective not guilty in the slaying of a driver during an alleged road-rage incident. Joseph Walker, 41, an investigator for the Hudson County, New Jersey, prosecutor's office, was found not guilty on all counts on Wednesday in Anne Arundel County Circuit Court. He had been charged with first-degree murder in the death of Joseph Harvey, 36, of Landsdowne.
  • Man charged for the overdose death of Hillsborough resident on Christmas Eve

    Man charged for the overdose death of Hillsborough resident on Christmas Eve

    Thursday, July 31 2014 11:38 AM EDT2014-07-31 15:38:39 GMT

    A Bridgewater man has been charged with the death of a 22-year-old Hillsborough resident who overdosed on Heroin Christmas Eve morning, according to nj.com.

    A Bridgewater man has been charged with the death of a 22-year-old Hillsborough resident who overdosed on Heroin Christmas Eve morning, according to nj.com.

  • East Hanover man admits exposing himself to child

    East Hanover man admits exposing himself to child

    Thursday, July 31 2014 11:34 AM EDT2014-07-31 15:34:55 GMT
    An East Hanover man previously convicted of child endangerment pleaded guilty Wednesday to exposing himself to another child on several occasions when she was between the ages of 4 and 6. Kenneth Lull, 48, who has been in jail since 2008, received a three-year suspended sentence under the plea agreement, according to NJ.com.
    An East Hanover man previously convicted of child endangerment pleaded guilty Wednesday to exposing himself to another child on several occasions when she was between the ages of 4 and 6. Kenneth Lull, 48, who has been in jail since 2008, received a three-year suspended sentence under the plea agreement, according to NJ.com.
Powered by WorldNow

WTTG FOX 5 & myfoxdc
5151 Wisconsin Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20016
Main Number: (202) 244-5151
Newsroom: (202) 895-3000
fox5tips@wttg.com

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices