Bar owners in Hoboken, New Jersey struggling to recover from superstorm Sandy won't be getting a boost around St. Patrick's Day. The Mile Square city's annual St. Patrick's Day parade-- canceled last year-- has been canceled, again.
Mayor Dawn Zimmer wanted the parade held during a weekday to cut back on out-of-control revelers, but the St. Patrick's Day Parade committee said no.
Before it was canceled last year, the parade was held on the first Saturday of March for 25 years. The day typically began with bars and restaurants opening as early as 8 a.m.
Critics say the parade is not the problem but the people who start drinking early in the day.
Last year, with the parade canceled, revelers took part in the Lepre-Con pub crawl.
This year, people dressed in green are expected to head to the dozens of bars in town on Sat., March 2, the day the parade would have been held.
June 19 is National Dine Out Day. Restaurants and vendors across the country are contributing a percentage of their revenues for the day to the NJ Relief Fund to benefit Superstorm Sandy victims.
One bird may have been responsible for several hundred Hoboken residents losing power.
One bird may have been responsible for several hundred Hoboken residents losing power. A spokeswoman for Public Service Electric & Gas says the bird touched a transformer on Clinton Street near Columbus Park Wednesday morning.