Fire kills Ga. man at assisted living home - DC News FOX 5 DC WTTG

Fire kills Ga. man at assisted living home

Posted: Updated:

WAYNESBORO, Ga. (AP) - Authorities say a 65-year-old man is dead after fire spread through an assisted living home in eastern Georgia.

Insurance and Fire Commissioner Ralph Hudgens says the blaze started at about 4:30 a.m. Saturday at the Twin Oaks Assisted Living Home in Waynesboro. One man inside the home, Charles Atkins, was killed.

Investigators say the home was destroyed but six other people inside escaped the flames without injury.

The cause hasn't been determined. But Hudgens' office says investigators are looking at the possibility that the fire was ignited by a cigarette that wasn't extinguished properly.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Powered by WorldNow
Untitled

WTTG FOX 5 & myfoxdc
5151 Wisconsin Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20016
Main Number: (202) 244-5151
Newsroom: (202) 895-3000
fox5tips@wttg.com

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices