Two fires within just a half mile of each other in Temple Hills. The first fire at 11 a.m. Thursday on Everett Drive and another one on Curtis Drive.
"Whenever the weather gets a little bit colder, it's like flicking a switch," says Mark Brady of Prince George's County Fire and EMS. "We go from being a busy fire department to being an extremely crazy, busy fire department."
It's often because people are fighting to stay warm.
"Whether it's your space heater, your furnace, your fireplace, give those appliances space - at least three feet away from anything combustible," says Brady.
A space heater sparked the fire on Curtis Drive.
"Married couple in their 80s had gone out to run some errands, left the space heater on," says Brady.
Firefighters from other jurisdictions were called in to help deal with the busy day.
"We had firefighters come in from Fairfax, Riverdale, Kentlands to fill in stations in this area, and it's a good thing we did," Brady says.
Audrey Livingston lives right next door to the house on Everett Drive that caught on fire.
"The windows were cracking," she says. "A lot of smoke started coming out. It was smoke then fire."
That fire started in a first-floor bedroom.
"Firefighters arrived, put out the fire," says Brady. "During the search, they found a 60-year-old female unconscious, not breathing, without a pulse. Firefighters were able to revive her prior to arrival at the hospital. However, she remains in extremely critical condition."
WTTG FOX 5 & myfoxdc
Didn't find what you were looking for?