Competency exam ordered in Detroit body theft - DC News FOX 5 DC WTTG

Competency exam ordered in Detroit body theft

Posted: Updated:
Clarence Bright was 93 years old when he died earlier this month. Clarence Bright was 93 years old when he died earlier this month.
Vincent Bright, 48 Vincent Bright, 48

DETROIT (AP) -- A man accused of stealing his father's body from a Detroit cemetery before it was buried has resisted a request for a mental-health exam.

Vincent Bright appeared in court Thursday and told a judge, "I knew what I was doing."

Police say Bright stole Clarence Bright's body from a cemetery on Jan. 14 and stored it in a home freezer, hoping for a resurrection. Judge Ruth Carter approved a prosecutor's request that Bright undergo a competency exam, a step that will suspend the case for at least two months.

The 48-year-old Bright is charged with disinterment of a body. He expressed dissatisfaction with his court-appointed attorney but after a break said he would stick with Gerald Karafa.

The next hearing is set for March 26.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Let It Rip Weekend Proposal One and the Mongo Brothers

    Let It Rip Weekend Proposal One and the Mongo Brothers

    Let It Rip Weekend Proposal One and the Mongo Brothers

    Monday, July 28 2014 2:46 PM EDT2014-07-28 18:46:07 GMT
    How is Proposal One tied into funding our local schools, police and fire departments, plus should African Americans abandon the Democratic Party and the UAW?
    How is Proposal One tied into funding our local schools, police and fire departments, plus should African Americans abandon the Democratic Party and the UAW?

  • Porch shooter Theodore Wafer back in court for 3rd day of trial

    Porch shooter Theodore Wafer back in court for 3rd day of trial

    Monday, July 28 2014 2:34 PM EDT2014-07-28 18:34:31 GMT
    The trial of a Detroit-area man who killed a young unarmed woman on his porch is entering its first full week of testimony.
    The trial of a Detroit-area man who killed a young unarmed woman on his porch is entering its first full week of testimony.
  • Parents of child held in basement appearing in court

    Parents of child held in basement appearing in court

    Monday, July 28 2014 2:30 PM EDT2014-07-28 18:30:40 GMT
    DETROIT -- The father and stepmother of a 12-year-old Detroit boy who was found in his basement after an 11-day disappearance are due back in court.
    DETROIT -- The father and stepmother of a 12-year-old Detroit boy who was found in his basement after an 11-day disappearance are due back in court.
Powered by WorldNow

WTTG FOX 5 & myfoxdc
5151 Wisconsin Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20016
Main Number: (202) 244-5151
Newsroom: (202) 895-3000
fox5tips@wttg.com

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices