Detroit man found dead from carbon monoxide poisoning - DC News FOX 5 DC WTTG

Detroit man found dead from carbon monoxide poisoning

Posted: Updated:

By Alexis Wiley
Fox 2 News

DETROIT (WJBK) -- What a mother discovered inside her home Wednesday morning should serve as a reminder to all of us.  She left the house on Detroit's west side Tuesday evening and returned to find her 54-year-old son dead in his bed, as well as her two dogs.  The killer?  Carbon monoxide.

The home had an oil burning furnace, something neighbors say is not unusual in older homes.  Apparently the furnace was not ventilating properly and carbon monoxide filled the house.

Investigators say the family never knew because they did not have a carbon monoxide detector.

"I couldn't believe it.  I was very, very sadden," says neighbor Kirk Wilson.

Carbon monoxide poisoning is completely preventable if you have a working carbon monoxide detector.  You also need to make sure to check your furnace every single year regardless of its age.

Powered by WorldNow

WTTG FOX 5 & myfoxdc
5151 Wisconsin Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20016
Main Number: (202) 244-5151
Newsroom: (202) 895-3000

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices