Sandy Hook students to have shorter school year - DC News FOX 5 DC WTTG

Sandy Hook students to have shorter school year

Posted: Updated:
HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) -

Students at the Sandy Hook Elementary School will not have to make up the days they missed in the wake of last month's massacre in Newtown.

The state Board of Education on Wednesday granted a waiver shortening their school year from the mandatory 180 days to 177 days.  The school district originally had planned a 183-day school year.

The Sandy Hook school was closed after the Dec. 14 shooting that left 20 students and six faculty members dead.

The more than 400 students from the school returned to classes on Jan. 4 at a former middle school in Monroe that was renovated for them.

Because of an already planned holiday break, students missed just six scheduled days of classes.

The General Assembly in December passed legislation allowing for the waiver.

  • Connecticut NewsConnecticut NewsMore>>

  • Connecticut man charged in Yale hoax threat

    Connecticut man charged in Yale hoax threat

    Wednesday, April 23 2014 3:33 PM EDT2014-04-23 19:33:11 GMT
    New Haven police say they have charged a Westbrook with making a hoax call in November to say an armed man was heading to shoot up Yale University.
    Police say they have charged a Connecticut man with making a call in November in which he falsely claimed an armed man was on his way to shoot up Yale University. New Haven police said Wednesday that 50-year-old Jeffrey Jones, of Westbrook, has been charged with falsely reporting an incident, threatening, reckless endangerment, misuse of the emergency 911 system and breach of peace.
  • New London running out of cash, mayor says

    New London mayor: city running out of cash

    New London Mayor Daryl Justin Finizio has asked the state for help because the city is running out of cash and won't be able to make its $1.7 million payroll this week.
    New London Mayor Daryl Justin Finizio has asked the state for help because the city is running out of cash and won't be able to make its $1.7 million payroll this week.
  • Cops: 73-year-old man shoots neighbor in dispute

    Cops: 73-year-old man shoots neighbor in dispute

    Monday, April 21 2014 7:37 AM EDT2014-04-21 11:37:28 GMT
    A 73-year-old Connecticut man will be appearing before a state judge after being charged with shooting his neighbor three times during an argument on Easter morning.
    A 73-year-old Connecticut man will be appearing before a state judge after being charged with shooting his neighbor three times during an argument on Easter morning.
Powered by WorldNow

WTTG FOX 5 & myfoxdc
5151 Wisconsin Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20016
Main Number: (202) 244-5151
Newsroom: (202) 895-3000
fox5tips@wttg.com

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices