When a fire breaks out in a home, sometimes you have only seconds to get out. A family in Surprise found that out firsthand.
Crews boarded up a garage Thursday night after an inferno roared through the home and displaced a family.
Jeep Porter noticed the smoke from his window and alerted his family. He helped get all his family members out, along with their 3 dogs and 7 cats.
"You hear about it, you watch it on the news, you never think it'll happen to you," says dad Torrey Porter. "I'm proud of him, his whole life he's been a help."
The family has a place to stay tonight, thanks to their church.
FOX 10's Dan Spindle has more on their survival story.
WTTG FOX 5 & myfoxdc
Didn't find what you were looking for?