Nurse In Royal Prank Found Dead In Suspected Suicide - DC News FOX 5 DC WTTG

Nurse In Royal Prank Found Dead In Suspected Suicide

Posted: Updated:
LONDON -

The London nurse who took a prank call this week from radio station disc jockeys pretending to be members of the royal family has been found dead days later, according to news reports.

SkyNews reports that the woman died in a suspected suicide Friday morning at an address near King Edward VII's Hospital, where she worked, one day after pregnant Kate Middleton was discharged.

"It is with deep sadness that I can confirm the tragic death of a member of our nursing staff, Jacintha Saldanha," said John Lofthouse, chief executive of King Edward VII's Hospital.

Hospital officials say Saldanha was helping out on the reception desk Tuesday when two Australian radio DJ's called pretending to be Queen Elizabeth and Prince Charles, asking to be put through to the room of Middleton, the Duchess of Cambridge.

Authorities say Saldanha, a four-year hospital employee, put the call through to ward where Middleton was being treated.

A startled nurse then spent the next few moments describing how Middleton – being treated for severe morning sickness – was being cared for before summarizing that she was "stable at the moment."

"We can confirm that Jacintha was recently the victim of a hoax call to the hospital," Lofthouse said. "The hospital had been supporting her through this very difficult time."

Hospital officials say Saldanha was found unconscious near the hospital Friday morning.  Emergency workers tried to revive her, but she died at the scene.

Mel Greig and Michael Christian, the Australian radio hosts who pulled the phone prank, apologized a day after making their call and airing it after reportedly running it past their station's lawyers.

Now, the station and the two DJs are facing backlash online. Their website and Facebook pages are packed with comments from angry people blaming the hoax for the nurse's death.

Late Friday, the DJs apparently took themselves off the air after consulting with management, TMZ reports.

In a statement Friday from St James's Palace, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge said they were "deeply saddened to learn of the death of Jacintha Saldanha," adding they were looked after wonderfully by "everybody at the hospital."

The palace said in a statement that "their thoughts and prayers are with Jacintha Saldanha's family, friends and colleagues at this very sad time."

  • Local NewsMore>>

  • Only On Fox: Arsonist On The Loose In South Jersey Town

    Only On Fox: Arsonist On The Loose In South Jersey Town

    Wednesday, April 16 2014 4:45 PM EDT2014-04-16 20:45:07 GMT
    It started with a brush fire, then another fire at the rear of this home on Monroe Street and finally a blaze that swept through this vacant home up the block, just a few feet away from where Emma Sethman
    It started with a brush fire, then another fire at the rear of this home on Monroe Street and finally a blaze that swept through this vacant home up the block, just a few feet away from where Emma Sethman
  • Beautiful Easter Sunday

    Saturday, April 19 2014 8:09 PM EDT2014-04-20 00:09:12 GMT

    NICE EASTER WEEKEND

    The first half of the holiday weekend has been great and Easter Sunday looks just as nice. Clouds thin out late tonight with temperatures falling back to the 40s.

    Initially it'll be jacket weather early Sunday morning but plenty of sunshine will warm us into the 60s by afternoon.  High temperatures will be a few degrees cooler than Saturday.

    It will be noticeably cooler and breezy at the shore with highs in the low 50s.  Quiet conditions continue into Monday.

  • Overturned Boat Victim Identified, Search Continues

    Overturned Boat Victim Identified, Search Continues

    Overturned Boat Victim Identified, Search Continues

    Saturday, April 19 2014 7:38 PM EDT2014-04-19 23:38:03 GMT
    The Coast Guard have suspended an emergency search for a man who went overboard in a boat after he went missing. New Jersey State Police have identified him as 49-year old John J. Poltonowicz.
    The Coast Guard have suspended an emergency search for a man who went overboard in a boat after he went missing. New Jersey State Police have identified him as 49-year old John J. Poltonowicz.
Powered by WorldNow

WTTG FOX 5 & myfoxdc
5151 Wisconsin Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20016
Main Number: (202) 244-5151
Newsroom: (202) 895-3000
fox5tips@wttg.com

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices