Several families are out of their homes Monday after a fast moving fire damaged a Maryland apartment building.
The flames broke out along 85th Avenue in New Carrollton at the Sutton Walk apartment complex. Officials say a maintenance worker was repairing a gas stove inside an apartment when the gas ignited.
The initial 911 call came in around 1 p.m. Prince George's County Fire and EMS spokesperson Mark Brady says "it appears it started in a second floor unit. It extended to the third [floor], up the roof and started to go down the attic area toward the next building."
It took 50 firefighters to battle the fire for 30 minutes, but they eventually stopped the flames from spreading to the next building.
Two firefighters were treated for minor injuries and burns. All of the residents escaped unharmed, but many will need a new place to stay.
11 apartments were damaged by the flames and 22 additional units have been deemed unsafe until utilities are restored.
The American Red Cross is working with the apartment complex to find shelter for the displaced residents.
WTTG FOX 5 & myfoxdc 5151 Wisconsin Ave. NW Washington, DC 20016 Main Number: (202) 244-5151 Newsroom: (202) 895-3000 firstname.lastname@example.org