Man dies after house fire in Oxon Hill - DC News FOX 5 DC WTTG

Man dies after house fire in Oxon Hill

Posted: Updated:
OXON HILL, Md. -

A 50 year old man pulled from his burning home by Prince George's County Firefighters this morning has passed away. Officials say the flames broke out at the victim's home along Boulder Drive in Oxon Hill around 5 a.m. while he was attempting to refill his kerosene space heater. His wife was treated for smoke inhalation.

Several hours later, around 10:30 a.m., firefighters were called out to Van Buren St. in Hyattsville for a fire in a duplex home. A total of 15 people were displaced and were either assisted by the Red Cross or made their own living arrangements. Investigators say the fire started on the exterior of the house in the area of the heat pump/HVAC unit, then spread inside.

Officials remind residents to check heating systems every year to make sure they are functioning properly. When refilling a space heater, make sure it's turned off and take it outside the home.

Powered by WorldNow
Untitled

WTTG FOX 5 & myfoxdc
5151 Wisconsin Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20016
Main Number: (202) 244-5151
Newsroom: (202) 895-3000
fox5tips@wttg.com

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices