Insurance companies trying to take advantage of Sandy victims - DC News FOX 5 DC WTTG

Insurance companies trying to increase deductibles for Sandy victims

Posted: Updated:
MYFOXNY.COM -

Senator Charles Schumer (D-NY) says he has warned insurance companies not try to skirt their obligations to their policyholders.  

Schumer held a Sunday press conference claiming reports indicate that these companies are pushing to have the storm reclassified as a Hurricane, rather than a "post tropical cyclone." That storm reclassification that would increase deductibles for homeowners by tens of thousands of dollars if successful.  

Schumer said that homeowners across the New York area have paid thousands of dollars in premiums and that they should be receiving world-class service from the companies in this time of crisis. 

"Superstorm Sandy left many homeowners' lives in shambles, and private insurance companies - who have collected thousands and thousands of dollars in premiums - should be doing everything possible to help them clean up the mess and rebuild, not trying to skirt their obligations," Schumer said. "The state and federal government both classified this storm as a post tropical cyclone, not a hurricane, and insurance companies shouldn't try to alter reality to save money on the backs of homeowners." 

Homeowner's insurance policies frequently have special deductibles for storms classified as "hurricanes." In almost all cases, these deductibles are far higher than those for other types of storms. A typical hurricane deductible is between 1% and 5% of the value of a home, amounts that easily run into the tens of thousands of dollars in expensive real estate markets such as the New York region. Non-hurricane deductibles, on the other hand, are usually a fixed amount, oftentimes less than $1,000.

  • New York State NewsNew York State NewsMore>>

  • Mark David Chapman

    John Lennon's killer denied parole again

    John Lennon's killer denied parole again

    Friday, August 22 2014 4:10 PM EDT2014-08-22 20:10:09 GMT
    John Lennon's killer was denied release from prison in his eighth appearance before a parole board, New York corrections officials said Friday. The decision on Mark David Chapman by a three-member board came after a hearing Wednesday, the state Department of Corrections said. Chapman fired five shots on Dec. 8, 1980, outside the Dakota apartment house where Lennon lived on Manhattan's Upper West Side, hitting the ex-Beatle four times.
    John Lennon's killer was denied release from prison in his eighth appearance before a parole board, New York corrections officials said Friday. The decision on Mark David Chapman by a three-member board came after a hearing Wednesday, the state Department of Corrections said. Chapman fired five shots on Dec. 8, 1980, outside the Dakota apartment house where Lennon lived on Manhattan's Upper West Side, hitting the ex-Beatle four times.
  • Fitbit responds to data selling accusations

    Fitbit responds to data selling accusations

    Friday, August 22 2014 12:57 PM EDT2014-08-22 16:57:29 GMT
    The maker of a popular line of wearable fitness-tracking devices says it has never sold personal data to advertisers, contrary to concerns raised by U.S. Sen. Charles Schumer. San Francisco-based Fitbit said Friday that it has clarified its privacy policy to make it clear the company doesn't share information about its users. Schumer raised concerns about the company's privacy policy earlier this month and called for federal rules to allow consumers to protect their data.
    The maker of a popular line of wearable fitness-tracking devices says it has never sold personal data to advertisers, contrary to concerns raised by U.S. Sen. Charles Schumer. San Francisco-based Fitbit said Friday that it has clarified its privacy policy to make it clear the company doesn't share information about its users. Schumer raised concerns about the company's privacy policy earlier this month and called for federal rules to allow consumers to protect their data.
  • Torture video leads to kidnapping convictions

    Torture video leads to kidnapping convictions

    Friday, August 22 2014 8:00 AM EDT2014-08-22 12:00:26 GMT
    A jury shown the videotaped torture of a kidnapping victim has convicted the two men who held a man captive for 17 hours at a Buffalo home because they thought he was a police informant. Authorities say the two men kidnapped a 25-year-old crack addict they accused of being a snitch. Video from Dawson's cellphone shows a gun being shoved into the victim's mouth and the victim being forced to lick his own blood off the boot of a captor.
    A jury shown the videotaped torture of a kidnapping victim has convicted the two men who held a man captive for 17 hours at a Buffalo home because they thought he was a police informant. Authorities say the two men kidnapped a 25-year-old crack addict they accused of being a snitch. Video from Dawson's cellphone shows a gun being shoved into the victim's mouth and the victim being forced to lick his own blood off the boot of a captor.
Powered by WorldNow
Untitled

WTTG FOX 5 & myfoxdc
5151 Wisconsin Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20016
Main Number: (202) 244-5151
Newsroom: (202) 895-3000
fox5tips@wttg.com

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices