LIPA has thousands of crews restoring power to customers - DC News FOX 5 DC WTTG

LIPA has thousands of crews restoring power to customers

Posted: Updated:
MYFOXNY.COM -

LIPA reports that they are making progress in restoring power to Long Islanders as many public officials are holding the power company accountable for their performance. 

Despite the numbers, many people are getting anxious for the power to return.

A generator is keeping some of the lights on at Fred Parham's Massapequa home – but everyday he's getting more frustrated. 

"Just trying to get to the store with no lights and people cutting each other off, people are tired and frustrated and LIPA does nothing," said Parham. 

Because of Hurricane Sandy residents on Lagoon Boulevard are getting ready to spend their seventh night without power. 

"It's really cold. I don't want my kids sleeping – it's unbearable," said resident Debbie Montano.  

Hundreds of thousands of LIPA residents here on Long Island are still without power and the big question for many of them is -- when will they get power back. 

"At least give us some information, some communication – let us know what's going on," said Ray Argila of Massapequa. 

"We're not seeing any trucks – any LIPA trucks. Just a couple of tree removal trucks," said Ira Zekowski of Plainview. 

"My power is out in my house and I‘m frustrated that that's the case. Also, I'm hoping the power comes back and any day but I'm waiting just like everybody else is," said LIPA CEO Michael Hervey.

LIPA CEO Michael Hervey says 90 percent of customers will have power by Wednesday night – the other 10 percent will be restored after that. 

"It will be a matter of days – nobody should be talking about weeks or anything like that," said Hervey. "I just can't give you a day it might be." 

Hervey says also says crews have started to restore power for the LIPA customers in one of the areas hit hardest by Hurricane Sandy -- the Rockaways. 

"We started putting power back there last night, there were rumors to the contrary, but some power was put back Sunday," said Hervey. 

Another storm could be headed our way in the middle of the week – but Hervey says crews will still be outside making repairs. 

"These men and women are going to work through the weather," said Hervey. "I don't anticipate the kind of weather to keep them out of the field."

  • Long Island NewsLong Island NewsMore>>

  • Long Island beaches reopen to bathing

    Long Island beaches reopen to bathing

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 10:08 AM EDT2014-09-02 14:08:19 GMT

    Health officials say six Long Island beaches that were closed for one day have reopened to bathing. The Nassau County beaches were closed Monday due to storm water runoff that could negatively impact bacterial levels. The beaches were: Laurel Hollow Beach, Morgan Beach, North Hempstead Beach Park, Sea Cliff Village Beach, Tappen Beach and Theodore Roosevelt Beach.

    Health officials say six Long Island beaches that were closed for one day have reopened to bathing. The Nassau County beaches were closed Monday due to storm water runoff that could negatively impact bacterial levels. The beaches were: Laurel Hollow Beach, Morgan Beach, North Hempstead Beach Park, Sea Cliff Village Beach, Tappen Beach and Theodore Roosevelt Beach.

  • Speed cameras in LI school zones

    Speed cameras in LI school zones

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 5:49 AM EDT2014-09-02 09:49:32 GMT
    Reminder for drivers that as children head back to school in Nassau County so too, will the speed cameras in school zones. Officials say speed cams will be fully operational at 25 locations this week. That will more than double eventually.
    Reminder for drivers that as children head back to school in Nassau County so too, will the speed cameras in school zones. Officials say speed cams will be fully operational at 25 locations this week. That will more than double eventually.
  • Hope's Land of Candy

    Hope's Land of Candy

    Monday, September 1 2014 8:13 PM EDT2014-09-02 00:13:34 GMT
    Step through the doors of Hope's Land of Candy in Island Park, Long Island and you''ll be taking a trip back in time. There's no WIFI but they do have a Victrola piano. And then there's the candy.. lots and lots of it.
    Step through the doors of Hope's Land of Candy in Island Park, Long Island and you''ll be taking a trip back in time. There's no WIFI but they do have a Victrola piano. And then there's the candy.. lots and lots of it.
Powered by WorldNow
Untitled

WTTG FOX 5 & myfoxdc
5151 Wisconsin Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20016
Main Number: (202) 244-5151
Newsroom: (202) 895-3000
fox5tips@wttg.com

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices