Dr. Mike On Home Power Generators: How To Avoid CO Poisoning - DC News FOX 5 DC WTTG

Dr. Mike On Home Power Generators: How To Avoid CO Poisoning

Posted: Updated:

Hurricane Sandy has left thousands of people in our area without power.

While some ride it out with flashlights and lanterns, others have home power generators.

But, there are risks attached to these generators – very serious risks.

This morning, Fox 29 reported that some residents in a house in New Hope may have suffered from carbon monoxide poisoning because their generator was in their garage .  This is not the proper place for a generator.

Thankfully, the situation in New Hope was not dire, and everyone is safe. 

Unfortunately, generators are a big cause of carbon monoxide poisoning.  There are about 500 deaths a year and 20,000 visits to the emergency room due to this problem.

How do you keep yourself and your family members safe while using a generator?

Dr. Mike Cirigliano reminds you  - you cannot taste, see or smell CO2. 

Here are some signs that you may be exposed to CO2:

 1.   Flu-like symptom

 2.   Chest pain

 3.   Shortness of breath

Call 911 if you suspect you may be affected.

Generator Tips:

  1. A generator should be 25 feet AWAY from your house
  2. Install a carbon monoxide alarm







Powered by WorldNow

WTTG FOX 5 & myfoxdc
5151 Wisconsin Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20016
Main Number: (202) 244-5151
Newsroom: (202) 895-3000

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices