Crowd Shouts 'Baby Killer' As Suspect Faces Arraignment - DC News FOX 5 DC WTTG

Crowd Shouts 'Baby Killer' As Suspect Faces Arraignment

Posted: Updated:

Wearing a bullet-proof vest and surrounded by a huge crowd yelling "baby killer," 26-year-old Ragu Yandamuri was led into court Friday to face two counts of first-degree murder and kidnapping charges, ending a five-day search for 10-month-old Saanvi Venna.

"This was an attempt to kidnap the child and hold her for ransom," said Montgomery County District Attorney Risa Vetri Ferman.

But that plan went terribly wrong when the suspect snatched the baby inside an apartment, then stabbed the child's 61-year-old grandmother, killing her.

When the child started to scream, investigators say Yandamuri stuffed a handkerchief in her mouth to keep her quiet.

"He disposed of the body, and we found her, tragically, this morning," Ferman said.

Yandamuri left the apartment with the child in a suitcase. He left behind several ransom notes demanding $50,000 for the child's return. He then placed the child in a sauna room in building "A" at the complex.

Police were called to the scene, and an Amber Alert was triggered for the baby.

Police even tried to meet the ransom demands at a nearby rendezvous point across from the complex.

"We had cooperation from Mrs. Venna, who actually went to a location that had been designated. We were hoping someone would arrive, but no one did," Ferman explained.

Police continued to search through the week. They questioned Yandamuri on Thursday, who finally confessed. He lead them to the child's body Friday morning.

"I want him to be crucified to the maximum, that's it," the baby's aunt told reporters.

"There's no words to describe. It's hard to believe that such evil in the form of Ragu does really exist out there,"a family friend said.

"There's no words to express the outrage. And to think the guy was among us praying for the safe return. Nothing can be more sickening than that," he added.

The suspect threatened in his ransom note to cut the child into pieces if the ransom demands were not met.

Investigators say the child may have died right after the kidnapping incident. An autopsy was being done Friday afternoon.

Ferman revealed that the suspect actually printed up fliers during the search and attended one of the vigils with the family. He lives in the same apartment complex with his pregnant wife.

He was ordered held without bail. He will face a preliminary hearing on the first-degree murder charges next Friday in Bridgeport.

Powered by WorldNow

WTTG FOX 5 & myfoxdc
5151 Wisconsin Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20016
Main Number: (202) 244-5151
Newsroom: (202) 895-3000

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices