With football season in full swing, Morton's has created great portable recipes for sharing on game day at tailgating events. Get this recipe for pulled pork sliders courtesy of chef Jesse Nemeth. This recipes serves 10-12 people.
Cumin Pulled Pork
- Pork shoulder (Butt) roast, boneless, 7 to 8 pounds 1 each
- Carrots 10 ounces
- Celery 10 ounces
- Onions, sweet 10 ounces
- Morton's Seasoned Salt 4 TBL
- Garlic Powder 2 TBL
- Cumin 1 TBL
- Oregano 2 TBL
- Pepper, black, pure ground 2 TBL
- Chicken Broth, canned 3 cups
- Enchilada Sauce 1 cup
- Pre-heat a conventional oven to 300 degrees
- Rough-chop the vegetables and spread them out evenly in the bottom of a roasting pan. Mix all the spices together in a mixing bowl and then rub into the pork roast. Place the pork roast, fat side up, on top of the vegetables.
- In another bowl, mix the broth and enchilada sauce together and pour into the roasting pan.
- Place the roast in the oven and bake for approximately 2-1Ž2 hours.
- After the 2-1Ž2 hours, score the fat on the top of the roast. Baste the roast with the collected juices in the hotel pan every half hour for the next 3-1Ž2 hours for a total cook time of 6 hours. Cover the roast with plastic wrap and then aluminum foil for the last 3 1/2 hours
- Remove the roast from the oven and check to make sure it is fork-tender. When pulled at with a fork it should shred very easily. Remove the roast from the roasting pan and set aside.
- Strain the contents of the roasting pan through a strainer into a one gallon measuring pitcher. Let the juices settle until the fat and broth have clearly separated. Using the ladle, skim of as much of the fat as possible.
- Remove as much fat as possible from the outside of the roast. Shred the roast with forks and place into a storage container. Pour the de-greased broth over the shredded pork and allow to cool in the refrigerator. This can be prepared up to 3 days in advance.
Pulled Pork Sliders
- Slider rolls 3 each
- Whole Butter 1 tsp.
- Avocado, 6 slices, across the avocado, 1/8th inch 1Ž4 avocado
- Roast Pork Shoulder, from above Approx 6 ounces
- Pico de Gallo, 3 tsp.
- Cilantro 1 sprig
- Lime wedge, 1 each
Cooking Preparation Instructions
- Cut the rolls in half. Butter the cut sides of each roll and place them cut side down in a pie tin. Place them in the oven and bake until hot and cut side is browned, approximately 2 minutes.
- Place the pork in a small sauté pan and heat thoroughly, reducing the juice by 3/4.
- Slice the avocado. Remove the rolls from the oven and place the bottoms on one side of the plate as pictured. Lay 2 slices of avocado on the bottom buns. Place 2 ounces of the heated pork on each roll bottom. Allow the pork to drain most of the juice before placing it on the roll. Top the pork on each roll with 1 tsp. of the Pico de Gallo.
- Place the roll tops on top of each slider. Skewer each slide with a frill pick.
- Garnish the plate with the cilantro and lime wedge. Serve immediately.