1 cup water 4 cups milk (or use a mixture of coconut milk and almond milk for a vegan
alternative) 6 oz good quality chocolate, chopped into small pieces (you can use dark
chocolate, milk chocolate, or a combination of the two depending on desired
2 tablespoons Dutch process cocoa powder
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cardamom
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1. Bring the water to a simmer in a small saucepan. Add sugar and stir to
dissolve. Remove from heat and add chocolate, stirring to make sure the
chocolate is completely immersed. Set aside to allow chocolate to melt.
2. In a second saucepan, whisk the cocoa powder with several tablespoons of
milk to make a paste. Add the rest of the milk and heat over a low/medium
flame, stirring frequently to prevent burning.
3. Whisk the chocolate and water mixture together until smooth, and add to
cocoa and milk mixture.
4. Continue to hear over a low/medium flame, whisking often.
5. Whisk vanilla, cardamom, cinnamon and salt into mixture. Add more sugar and
spices to taste.
6. (optional) Using an immersion blender -- or by transferring mixture into a
traditional blender or food processor -- froth for 30 seconds. This adds a
wonderful texture that makes this decadent hot chocolate even more enjoyable.