Prince George's County fire officials say a second person has died from injuries sustained in a Capitol Heights house fire on Wednesday. Officials have determined that the fire that also killed a five-year-old girl was caused by an overloaded electrical circuit.
A window air conditioner that should have been plugged directly into a wall outlet was plugged into an extension cord and a power strip, which overheated and caught fire.
Firefighters went door to door to hand out smoke detectors and to educate residents about the use of large appliances. They found several instances where AC units were improperly plugged into extension cords or power strips, and with the owners' consent, corrected the issue.
Meanwhile, grieving family members and neighbors are trying to come to grips with the loss of five-year-old Jade Buffaloe and her 15-year-old uncle, Rickey Cole. Buffaloe's father and Rickey's brother, James Cole, remains in critical condition with serious burns.