As a kid, we put a baking soda on summer bug stings. That was mom's advice. Now, we're getting the doc's advice on what to do after a painful sting!
We don't get too concerned about mosquito bites. They're the most common summer bug bite. Coming in at number 2: stings, which require a little more TLC.
Sometimes there's no escaping the fast sting of a wasp or hornet, and if a child is stung, it's important to ask quickly.
For bee stings, you want to try to get the stinger out right away, if you can. Next, grab some forceps or tweezers or even your fingernail. Pull the stinger out and put a cool compress on it.
Make sure the area is clean with a little soap and water. Ice can help reduce swelling. Over the counter treatment options include a hydrocortisone cream to help with pain. Ibuprofen might bring relief too. An antihistamine like Benadryl can cut back on irritation.
Next, watch closely for signs of allergic reaction. You might first notice that local swelling and then some swelling around your mouth. You have to pay close attention to whether the child is able to speak clearly and if they're breathing. Sometimes, they start to drool if they're non-verbal.
If you see any of those signs, you need to call a doctor. Remember even if a child has never had an allergic reaction to stings, that doesn't mean that's never going to happen. Allergens can accumulate in a child's body to trigger an eventual reaction.
WTTG FOX 5 & myfoxdc
Didn't find what you were looking for?