Prince George's County police officers under investigation - DC News FOX 5 DC WTTG

Prince George's County police officers under investigation

Posted: Updated:

Two Prince George's County police officers are under criminal investigation in Charles County for allegedly handcuffing, detaining and assaulting a teenager in order to teach him a lesson.

Law enforcement sources say the officers were off duty but in a marked cruiser when they allegedly stopped three teens in a Waldorf neighborhood after the teens had left a Memorial Day party.

Law enforcement sources tell FOX 5 the two officers live in the neighborhood where the party took place and went after the teens for reasons still not clear--detaining and handcuffing two of them before one got away.

Law enforcement sources say it all started at a house in the 2800 block of Merchant Court in Waldorf, where the teens say they were invited for a Memorial Day picnic.

As the afternoon turned to evening, the teens told investigators the homeowner accused them of taking items from the house and searched one of the teens.

The three then left.

About 20 minutes after the homeowner searched one of the teens, the three arrived in another section of the sub-division where two were on bikes and one was on foot.  As the off duty officers approached, one of the teens ran off, a second was detained by one of the off duty officers and a third teen, who we are calling J.L., arrived in the 3000 block of Miranda Place. That's where he says the officer said "Stop, or I will shoot you in the back." J.L. says he then sunk to his knees and the officer tackled him.

A man who says he witnessed the incident agreed to recount what he saw as long as fox 5 didn't identify him.

"Approaching the roundabout in Charles Crossing, I noticed a large Caucasian male chasing a younger black male and when I came around the roundabout I saw the officer--I didn't know he was an officer, but he was pounding on top of the victim."

J.L. says he and the other teen were then handcuffed and driven away.

"I was very scared and nervous sir; I didn't know where they were taking me or what they were going to do."

J.L.'s father agreed to let us speak to him as long as we did not show his face or use his real name.

He says the second teen who was also detained was able to slip out of his handcuffs and get away.

Now J.L. was all alone.

"I had to just sit back there and ride, I didn't know if I was ever going to see my parents again. I didn't know if I was going to die or live another day."

J.L. says the officers told him he would now get the worst of it since his friends got away and drove him to a gravel driveway where J.L. says he was told to get out of the cruiser and walk up to the fence. That's where his handcuffs were removed and the officers told him to put his chin against the fence and count to 100.

They then drove away.

"They never said anything about why they were detaining you? Asked FOX 5's Paul Wagner.

"No sir"

"And then when you got here what were you thinking?"

I was afraid they would shoot or taze me there was just so much stuff going through my head."

J.L.'s father, Billy Anderson told FOX 5, "I'm very disappointed, I'm very disgusted. My son has been violated. I feel like I have been violated, my wife has been violated--all the trauma he went through, I didn't know I would have a kid again."


Powered by WorldNow

WTTG FOX 5 & myfoxdc
5151 Wisconsin Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20016
Main Number: (202) 244-5151
Newsroom: (202) 895-3000

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices